Rest in Peace John McCain

25 Aug 2018 20:15 #1 by ScienceChic
A true patriot and honorable man, my heart goes out to his family tonight. Rest in peace Sir, and thank you deeply for your service to our great nation.

Recalling the John McCain We Knew
Reporters and editors at The New York Times had a backstage view of Mr. McCain’s decades in public life. Here are their reflections.
August 25, 2018

He had a request for his tombstone: “He served his country.”

In January 2015, when Mr. McCain had just taken over the chairmanship of the Senate Armed Services Committee — “the only job in Washington, other than being president, that he ever wanted,” I wrote then — I ran into him practically skipping along in a Senate corridor. We hadn't seen one another in some time. “Come see me!" he said playfully. So I did. When I showed up at his office some days later for our interview, I found the senator in a contemplative mood.
— Sheryl Gay Stolberg

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Aug 2018 20:06 - 29 Aug 2018 11:11 #2 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Rest in Peace John McCain
Oh the irony! Davis, McCain's campaign manager delivered a "from the grave" remark of Mr. McCain. He is the Davis of Davis and Manafort, lobbyists. See thenation.com October 1, 2008. He introduced McCain to Deripaska, a Putin associate, whom McCain met with even though the FBI warned McCain of Deripsaka's history.
John McCain, an honorable man. I am unable to retrieve the posting about 'Deal Breakers" but I recall one concerned adultery. John's first wife, might think offer some insight; from people magazine, May 29, 2018 "It’s been almost 40 years since Sen. John McCain left his first wife and three young children to marry Cindy Lou Hensley, a woman 18 years his junior — yet a lingering pain remains evident on the face of his oldest daughter, Sidney McCain."
John McCain lived his life the way he wanted to, regardless of others. That was his choice; just don't make a martyr of him.

29 Aug 2018 11:28 #3 by ScienceChic
A martyr? No, certainly not. There was plenty I disagreed with McCain about, particularly his strong pro-war stance, flip-flopping on the torture of prisoners, and especially picking Palin as his running mate (I was all set to vote for him until he did that and gave a boost to the alt-right); however, I believe at his core he put this country first and to me that is honorable. I did not know about his personal history, and I respect him less for what he did to his first wife.

This article pretty much sums up my take on him as well:
Reckoning With John McCain
Respecting the best of McCain requires grappling with the rest of McCain.
By Timothy Patrick McCarthyTwitter
August 27, 2018

I’m an historian, so I feel compelled, on the occasion of his passing, to respect the best of John McCain while also reckoning with the rest of John McCain. Death is one of those moments where legacies are made, where memories are shaped, and men of outsize power and privilege require a full reckoning, regardless of whether criticism is considered “bad timing” or “disrespectful.”

What makes John McCain’s passing more complicated for me—and this will probably upset some of my friends on the left—is that we need more Republicans to be like John McCain.

This is a long, but riveting (and tough) read of his personal account of his captivity. Including it simply because I find it fascinating and it re-affirms my stance that torture is never acceptable and war should be avoided as hard as possible.
John McCain, Prisoner of War: A First-Person Account
John McCain spent over 5 years in captivity as a POW in North Vietnam, and wrote about it in May 1973.
By John S. McCain, Contributor 
Jan. 28, 2008

Of the many personal accounts coming to light about the almost unbelievably cruel treatment accorded American prisoners of war in Vietnam, none is more dramatic than that of Lieut. Commander John S. McCain III—Navy flier, son of the admiral who commanded the war in the Pacific, and a prisoner who came in "for special attention" during 5½ years of captivity in North Vietnam.

Now that all acknowledged prisoners are back and a self-imposed seal of silence is off, Commander McCain is free to answer the questions many Americans have asked:

What was it really like? How prolonged were the tortures and brutality? How did the captured U.S. airmen bear up under the mistreatment—and years spent in solitary? How did they preserve their sanity? Did visiting "peace groups" really add to their troubles? How can this country's military men be conditioned to face such treatment in the future without crumbling?

Here, in his own words, based on almost total recall, is Commander McCain's narrative of 5½ years in the hands of the North Vietnamese.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

29 Aug 2018 11:55 #4 by Carrie
Replied by Carrie on topic Rest in Peace John McCain
I am considered "left", but would certainly not disagree with needing more Republicans like John McCain. He reached across the aisle, put his country before himself and set an example for the rest of the government and the world. Many would be better to aspire to being like John McCain. We are left with a conglomerate of self-involved, self-serving egos who probably cannot spell altruism or honor, much less define them. They certainly do not aspire to either. We have lost a bright light, and are left with the dregs. I will end with my first thought early this morning--"R.I.P., John McCain, God help our country."

30 Aug 2018 12:44 #5 by Carrie
Shame on you! You remind me of the Tramp who said that McCain wasn't a hero because he was captured--and this from a megalomaniac who never put his country before himself. People in glass houses---

30 Aug 2018 13:31 #6 by Carrie
My last comment was for Rampage. And I will add the John McCain is a much better symbol of a good man than the Tramp you support for President will ever be.

30 Aug 2018 15:31 #7 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Rest in Peace John McCain
Carrie,
Is there anything in my comment that isn't true?
I am sorry for your Trump Derangement Syndrome; there is nothing in my comment that references President Trump.

02 Sep 2018 08:43 #8 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Rest in Peace John McCain
Such flip flopping on McCain. 10 years ago the media and Democrats were saying that candidate McCain was an angry old man who wasn't mentally fit to become president. Now they call him a "Lion of the Senate".

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

02 Sep 2018 11:43 #9 by Brandon
Replied by Brandon on topic Rest in Peace John McCain
That's not a flip-flop. If they were now saying he wasn't an angry old man who was fit to become president, THAT would be a flip-flop.

02 Sep 2018 13:39 #10 by Carrie
And you expect the Democrats to support a Republican? What world do you live in? If you cannot disagree with someone, it does not mean you cannot respect them, though granted, respect is in short supply these days. John McCain was an example of someone who had a set of core values to which he adhered, aside from his personal politics--truth, honesty, respect, service. I feel sorry for those who cannot disagree with someone, but respect his core values. I didn't vote for John McCain because I disagreed with some of his opinions on what direction and stance the U.S. should take, but I respected him for those core values and the kind of man he was. There is a big difference. It is so sad that people feel respect only for those who agree with them. I wonder what kind of values, if any, they actually have....

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds