The Dirtbag Trifecta?

08 Feb 2019 13:00 #11 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic The Dirtbag Trifecta?

ScienceChic wrote: Some more food for thought:
Column: If Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam resigns over racist photo, who wins?
Dahleen Glanton, Chicago Tribune
February 4, 2019

Let’s be clear. The deafening chorus of Democrats and Republicans calling for Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam to step down over that blackface picture has little to do with African-Americans.

It’s about politics.

If there ever was a case that pointed out both parties’ shallow interest in pushing forward an agenda addressing racial equality, it is this made-up angst over a picture that appeared 35 years ago in a medical school yearbook in Virginia.

Northam says he didn’t realize the harm he’d done by dancing in blackface until he had a conversation about it later with a person of color.

“He let me know why this was offensive,” Northam said at a news conference Saturday. “I apologized to him, and I will never do it again.”

This is what a conversation on race looks like. Someone does something racially insensitive. He discusses it with someone he has hurt and he comes away understanding why this seemingly innocent act is so painful to others.

These are the kinds of interpersonal discussions that can move our nation forward, not the angry, hate-filled rhetoric Trump has encouraged Americans to spew onto each other.

On a related note, I appreciated this awesome Twitter thread by Rob George about an "1865 slave auction" fundraiser senior class students at his college tried to organize in 1985:
THREAD.

After much fun at Northam's expense, a serious though: A few tweets have run along the lines of, "Even in the South, 35 years ago, everyone knew that wearing a Klan outfit or blackface was racist." Having been in college myself at that time, I started nodding. 1/x

But then I pause. EVERYONE knew that this type of behavior is racist? That means Northam must have been racist (he admits in his Friday statement that what he did was racist). It means his partner in crime was racist. But there was a compiler/editor of the yearbook, right? 2/x

That supposedly responsible person accepted Northam's photo. -- and let it go, right? Was there a faculty advisor? Did that person approve it too? My point here is that either everyone knew this was something REALLY ugly and racist OR they were doing something what they 3/

bizarrely thought was "funny" and no one stopped to think, "Oh, it's funny, but really ugly and maybe we shouldn't do it." IOW, the 20/20 hindsight we have now that EVERYONE knew this was something you didn't do might not have been as strong back then. 4/

If we're going to hold Northam to account for his actions 30 years ago of dressing in blackface, then we also need to acknowledge that racism is still alive and well in the United States and the NFL players kneeling have a damn good reason to do so. That calls to end Affirmative Action are premature, we have a disproportionate percentage of black people in poverty and in jails not because they are lazy or more likely to be criminals but because they are discriminated against for good job opportunities or promotions/raises and singled out for scrutiny and less able to defend themselves against spurious charges.

Or, we can start having uncomfortable conversations about who we really are, the assumptions we make about one another, how we can treat each other better, fix our institutions, and move forward in equality and fairness to heal together as a nation.

[/b]

AND that was my attempt to do so......however a dialogue with a person from the south was
DISMISSED and dumped. The response COULD have been......I'm from the south ,WHY
was your experience that bad? It COULD have been the genesis of a TRUE and honest
exchange. jmo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Feb 2019 13:57 #12 by homeagain

Rick wrote: This is really an amazing story that doesn't have anything to do with President Trump, so predictably, the media arm of the DNC (most of the media) isn't giving the Virginia story as much (if any) attention as they would if this was a Republican problem.

Potential dirtbag #1 Ralph Northam
This all started because of his statement which suggested a new born baby could be killed after a discussion between mother and doctor (the word abortion would not apply here). He referred to the baby as an infant, not a clump of cells or a fetus... bad move. Without that statement, the next two dominoes would not be falling with him.

But of course, that was not the crime that Democrats are demanding he pay for, even though Dems know bringing humanity to the abortion debate is deadly to their cause of unrestricted abortion at any time for any reason. The crime to distract from the horrific statement is the crime of being a racist decades ago. I would say the picture tells the whole story and there is no doubt it was racist. But is he a racist today? Can people not change over time and become an advocate for the people they once mocked in a racist way? I think they can, but Northam used a disgusting and unsubstantiated tv ad to paint his Republican opponent as a racist. But whatever, Northam is toast and the man next in line was poised to take his place just happens to be a black man... perfect! Well, maybe not...

Potential dirtbag #2 Justin Fairfax
I'll just call this one "Kavanaugh Karma". This guy has a credible accusation of sexual dating back in 2004 (15 years ago, not 35), she gave the story to the Washington Post in 2017 but of course that left leaning paper was not willing to print the story without corroborating evidence (my, how standards have changed since the Kavanaugh hearing). Anyway, here we go again, but where are the collective cries for #believeallwomen ? Did that standard change or does it depend on who is being charged? Does race and political party make a difference? If you're honest, you know the answer.

Potential dirtbag #3 Mark Herring
AG Mark Herring is third in line if the first two dominoes fall. Mark came out immediately condemning Northam's racist picture but later had to admit the he too wore blackface as a costume. Does that make him a racist? Who among us know what is in his heart today? Lots of people do things that they regret decades later as times change. But if DEms are consistent in their condemnation with Northam, Herring must also go.

For the record, I think all three men should be given some sort of due process if they want to hang on to their jobs and not resign... this is still America. Robert "KKK" Byrd was in Congress for a very long time and he was loved by his fellow Democrats including the Clintons. Oh the irony.

I'm not posting long articles or links because you should all know this story and I look forward to hearing your thoughts about this fascinating story. Please feel free to correct me, agree, or add your own points which I may have missed. Hope you're all having a great day and staying warm!

The bolded......jmo....I believe the Kavanaugh fiasco was the ultimate failure that forewarned
women that REGARDLESS of your station in life YOU WILL NOT SUCCEEDED in exposing injustice (or it will take decades before you will see results COSBY as a critical
example)…...most women will elect to LIMIT the harassment and opt out. THAT is what
the confirmation hearing brought front and center.....NO support.....(I speak from personal experience as an ex corporate employee)

08 Feb 2019 14:01 #13 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic The Dirtbag Trifecta?
Rick, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Blasey-Ford have people who came forward right away who corroborated that she'd told them of the incident years ago? While not perfect witnesses, they at least confirmed that she relayed the story long before Kavanaugh became a media sensation (i.e. she wasn't telling the story because she was paid to do so and it was made up). I have yet to see anything similar with this allegation against Fairfax.

While I stand with the #MeToo movement and injustices that women have always faced in how rapists are let off with light sentences and the burden of the crime has fallen unfairly on women, I also think that some in the movement suffer from over-zealousness. Mob mentality is too easy to fall into and we must remain on the right side of the rule of law. Everyone deserves a full investigation and a trial if evidence warrants it, to prove guilt. At the same time, we need to stop claiming that it's women's fault for how they dress or act, their allegations shouldn't be dismissed so readily, and they shouldn't be shamed into not bringing charges. Finally, we all need to stop being so damn outraged over every little thing. It's exhausting and unproductive.

My bigger issue with Kavanaugh was how he behaved at his confirmation hearing, his court case record, his possible bias against Department of Justice investigations into the executive branch, and how his immense credit card debt mysteriously disappeared. None of that was ever dug into deeper by the media which was a massive dereliction of duty on their part. But that's neither here nor there for this topic.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

08 Feb 2019 17:41 #14 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic The Dirtbag Trifecta?
Actually no, Ford had no corroborating witnesses and Ford made sure that her stiory couldn’t be disproven because she conveniently couldn’t remember when or where it happed or how she got home. She did remember she had one beer.

Now Fairfax has a second accuser that does have people who she told years ago.

Looks like Fairfax won’t last long now and Notham may be able to survive. This is becoming comical now

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

08 Feb 2019 22:40 #15 by ScienceChic
Yes, she did.
Kavanaugh accuser Christine Blasey Ford offers Senate four people she told about assault claims
Ten Items Corroborate Dr. Blasey Ford’s Allegation Kavanaugh Tried to Rape Her

So back to Fairfax. This 2nd accuser has the same type of corroborating witnesses as Blasey-Ford. The difference in this case is that Fairfax himself is calling for a full investigation, unlike Kavanaugh who refused to cooperate and whose friend who was also in the room at the time of the alleged incident refused to cooperate.

Oh, and Democrats are calling for him to resign, unlike how Republicans reacted regarding Kavanaugh. And it's being reported in the "liberal" media as a Google search shows stories on MSNBC, NPR, CNN, NY Times, Axios, and Wash Post. So where's the double standard in how he's being treated by Democrats and bias in reporting?
Second woman accuses Virginia deputy governor of assault

What's the reaction?

Democrats had until now stopped short of calling for Mr Fairfax to quit, but the latest allegation opened the floodgates on Friday.

Virginia Democratic representatives issued a joint statement demanding the lieutenant governor step aside.

"All survivors of sexual violence and harassment deserve to be supported and heard," they said, "and our commitment to that principle is more important than any political consideration."

The state's former Democratic governor, Terry McAuliffe, said the allegations against Mr Fairfax "are serious and credible" and called for his "immediate resignation".

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

09 Feb 2019 06:52 #16 by homeagain

Rick wrote: Actually no, Ford had no corroborating witnesses and Ford made sure that her stiory couldn’t be disproven because she conveniently couldn’t remember when or where it happed or how she got home. She did remember she had one beer.

Now Fairfax has a second accuser that does have people who she told years ago.

Looks like Fairfax won’t last long now and Notham may be able to survive. This is becoming comical now

From my perspective......the bolded is the apparent problem......there WERE witnesses willing to collaborate her story. HOWEVER the king limited the SCOPE of the investigation and they were NEVER interviewed. I followed this VERY closely and it was a sham of an investigation. The details are being omitted in your narrative RICK...….JMO Or they were conveniently forgotten to paint the female as a dimwit...jmo

09 Feb 2019 08:33 #17 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic The Dirtbag Trifecta?
Ford told people she was assaulted, yes, but she never said it was Kavanaugh until 35 years later. I believe she was assaulted and it became convenient for her to say it was Kavanaugh so that she could save that SC seat and be a national hero to the left. If she had witnesses that came forward to say she told them Kavanaugh did it, he wouldn't be sitting on the SC. His other lying accusers recanted their BS.

None of that matters now though. What matters is that Fairfax is gone and Northam will be forgiven and be able to keep his job. There is no way the Dems will let all three of these Democrats go down because next in line is a Republican. Principles be damned.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

09 Feb 2019 12:22 #18 by ScienceChic
You are incorrect Rick, she did name Kavanaugh years before - it says so in the articles I linked above. And as Homeagain mentioned, the one witness in the room refused to cooperate and wasn't compelled to come before Congress to testify (nor do we know if the FBI interviewed him). That situation was left unresolved and poorly handled.

The other accusers were not as credible (definitely not the one represented by the vulture lawyer Avenatti) and had nothing to do with Blasey-Ford's situation.

09 Feb 2019 14:57 #19 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic The Dirtbag Trifecta?
Prediction: the Governor will keep his seat, go full term, but will not run for reelection. More claims are showing up against the Lt. Governor and more leading Democrats are asking him to step aside so I think he will go and be replaced by someone with a better background, probably a woman. The 3rd in line? I think he will keep his job but once again not run for reelection.
Where do people ever get the idea that it is OK to dress up in blackface or KKK hoods? Blows me away and I was in college the same time Northam was in medical school and it never occurred to me.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

09 Feb 2019 16:48 #20 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic The Dirtbag Trifecta?

FredHayek wrote: Prediction: the Governor will keep his seat, go full term, but will not run for reelection. More claims are showing up against the Lt. Governor and more leading Democrats are asking him to step aside so I think he will go and be replaced by someone with a better background, probably a woman. The 3rd in line? I think he will keep his job but once again not run for reelection.
Where do people ever get the idea that it is OK to dress up in blackface or KKK hoods? Blows me away and I was in college the same time Northam was in medical school and it never occurred to me.

You should ask all the lib's who have appeared in blackface and by definition cannot be racist.
I am surprised that is even a concern as he was in a picture as or with the KKK. That has never been acceptable except to the racists who founded the KKK.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds