Even TELLURIDE testing has problems....and they were forward thinking FIRST

16 Apr 2020 12:19 #1 by homeagain
www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/...c-health/2981574001/

RELIABILITY of testing methods is becoming an issue.....(who did not know that,since there is this mob rush mentality to be first)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Apr 2020 16:49 #2 by FredHayek
Yes, why bother testing if the tests aren't accurate. Gives you false security or fear. :P
Did see one story where they are trying to train dogs to detect if a person has Covid-19. How cool would that be if it worked and was accurate. Use them at hospitals, ports, airports, and borders.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Apr 2020 07:18 - 18 Apr 2020 07:50 #4 by homeagain
Because of the lack of realistic understanding of this new virus....AGAIN, everyone is playing 52 card P.U......I think there in some validity in ever study,so far....do we have a firm grasp on the
facts and a way forward ...NO....from a purely personal pov., I think those individuals with questionable health conditions,either thru genetics or lack of adequate health care are more
at risk.....BUT then,you throw in the immune system,age and the picture becomes less clear....for
example....celiacs disease or Hashimoto thyroid problems are an immune system issue...IF you
have osteo arthritis,THAT too is an issue......at 73 am I at high risk, when a don't have a chronic
disease (other than osteo arthritis)? From the guide line..it seems I am.

The whole thing seems vague....my nextdoor neighboor will be 91 in Sept....he still does 2 cuttings of hay and cleans his irrigation ditches by hand,out the door at 730 or 8 am,doing what
he has done since he was 7 or 8.(oh,he also makes runs to Ignacio to gamble,attends Bronco
games,Super Bowl AND at one time,was married to a Las Vegas showgirl.....:whistle: .

www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/health/south-kore...-intl-hnk/index.html

RNA threads and retest positive...."in the end, we don't know too much about the virus"....THAT
SAYS IT ALL.......

18 Apr 2020 08:32 #5 by Pony Soldier
I was hoping for SC’s input on that study. If it to be believed, it seems that there are many more asymptomatic carriers than previously thought. I’m not sure what the ramifications of that would be. They still have no cure for the common cold and it is the same family of virus. I’m not going to believe that a vaccine is forthcoming based on that. Where do we go from here?

18 Apr 2020 10:13 #6 by Pony Soldier
Thinking more about this, it would mean that the virus has a much lower mortality rate than what was thought but a much much higher contagion rate. Almost a wash, but it will affect how we plan from here on out. This needs to be replicated in various sections of the country to determine what percentage of populations have already had this. It would go a long way towards getting everyone on the same page going forward.

18 Apr 2020 10:23 #7 by Pony Soldier
www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/17/business/...tter_impression=true

Boston seeing similar results but a lower percentage indicating the disease went through California first.

18 Apr 2020 20:02 #8 by ramage
It should be understood that testing is a snapshot. At the moment the test is taken, blood, saliva, etc. it indicates that you are positive or negative at that point in time. You can walk out of the testing center and come in contact with a carrier and then be infected. Quite frankly, testing is done to assuage the people that the incidence of the disease is much lower (or much higher than models have predicted.) With more testing the denominator becomes larger and the numerator,( fatalities), changes either up or down. But with much wider testing the denominator grows more quickly than the numerator (# of fatalities) thus the % of fatalities decreases. It does not mean that the number of deaths will not grow, simply that relative to the population the rate is much less. A sense of security, you decide whether it is false or not.
Also understand that flattening the curve does not decrease the amount of deaths, rather it spreads them over a larger time frame. Recall, the reason for striving to flatten the curve was:
not overwhelming the hospital facilities. Most importantly the ICU's. Medicine has since found that in a significant number of patients requiring ventilators on the basis of protocols were treated incorrectly, they were not in ARDS, rather a high compliance hypoxemia best treated by increased inspired oxygen (FiO2) and CPAP ( similar to the CPAP machines used by people with sleep apnea). Thus the decrease in the need for ventilators, especially in NYC.
This was no one's fault, rather a disease that presented in a manner that was at first not understood and therefore treated by what was appropriate for a dx of ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome).
What puzzles me is the almost absolute low number of pediatric and young adult patients. There are many theories, but I won't burden you with them until something becomes more definitive.

19 Apr 2020 09:21 #9 by FredHayek
Why I want the antibody tests. I know there is a group who believe if you get Covid-19, it doesn't make you immune to getting it again. But I have to think if you were successful fighting it off one time, you should be ready for it again. The whole principle of vaccines. Fight off the dead virus and you should be ready for the live version.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

19 Apr 2020 10:19 - 19 Apr 2020 10:42 #10 by homeagain
S-o-o-o, the question is WHY isn't the testing more widespread and less sporadic? We,here,
can not get a test unless U have symptoms and a dr.note.....just spoke to my brother,lives in Apache Juction/Mesa area in Ariz.

THEYhave drive thru testing set up around town......U can get the test anytime, there are NO lines.

per the gurus at Harvard...we are doing 150,000 test per day....we NEED at least 500,000 per day to open up the economy....U guess what is going to happen moving forward...I will put it on record,
U WILL SEE many,many more deaths because of the king's lack of skill set in opening up the
country in a sane,systematic way.....he pitting Govs. and states against each other rather than
co coordinating efforts and providing fed. assistance.....it appears to be a mind game that
provides satisfaction to his ego.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds