CRT? Nah, it's just history...

31 Oct 2021 15:22 #11 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic CRT? Nah, it's just history...
100% Fred, I was taught that history as well. I think I was in my early teens when Roots came out and that series

And George, I also agree that the horrific oppression of any people in the past can have lasting effects to this day, but that is not an inevitable outcome. Whether you are willing to admit it or not, there are people trying teach children that their skin color matters, when should be taught the opposite. Even our president picked his VP based on gender and skin color instead of picking the most qualified person to be second in charge. Imo, that's not the way we make up for past injustices, and I doubt that most minorities think their skin color defines them more than their intellect and character.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Oct 2021 15:43 - 31 Oct 2021 15:44 #12 by Rick

homeagain wrote: with the lack of PEOPLE OF COLOR on this board, I find it absurd that there can be any REAL dialogue on
this subject....come back when u find some,THEN we will really have a FULL and authentic discussion.

Really? First of all, the term "people of color" is one of the dumbest descriptions of human beings ever invented imo. It basically says that people with light skin tones are the people who don't have a color and are therefore significantly different, which they are not.

As for me not being able to talk about people who don't have the same color of skin as I do, I just find that to be a tad bit racist. I'm 99.9% sure you are not a racist, I just don't think you thought that through very well. That would mean that black people can't talk about the issues of non-black people, which again seems racist to me. If I was to bring statistics into a conversation about crime, would that be out of bounds for me as a white guy if I mentioned black people in that conversation?

I wish MLK's words were as engrained in our thinking today as they were back when he made those brilliant remarks. I wish we would finally dispense with the idea that our skin color defines us as much or more than what we do or what we say. Am I really wrong for believing in Dr. King's words or were his words just meant for people with similar skin color to his?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

01 Nov 2021 09:27 #13 by FredHayek
Interesting stat, Nigerian Americans earn more than the median American. So do Indian-Americans and Asian-Americans. Maybe it isn't about race?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

02 Nov 2021 08:24 #14 by GeorgeM

FredHayek wrote: Interesting stat, Nigerian Americans earn more than the median American. So do Indian-Americans and Asian-Americans. Maybe it isn't about race?

Maybe Denial is a river in Africa?

Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact. -- George Eliot (Mary Anne Evans)

02 Nov 2021 08:53 #15 by GeorgeM
Legend, a little confused by your reasoning. You said, "I also agree that the horrific oppression of any people in the past can have lasting effects to this day, but that is not an inevitable outcome." That was the inevitable outcome of more than 20 generations of institutionalized discrimination based on race. Are you suggesting horrific oppression of a people can have a different outcome? That simply telling children race doesn't matter is the answer? As to Vice Presidential picks. Oh my... Presidential politics is not known for disregarding balancing the ticket in favor of the best and the brightest to serve as Vice President. I'll name a few: Palin, Quayle, Johnson, Pence, Agnew. Pence and Quayle were Indianans, giving a solid rust belt tinge to the ticket. Johnson gave Kennedy the South. Agnew gave Nixon the hardcore so-called Silent Majority. And Palin? Now that was a bad pick for McCain. Yeah, she was a woman, but, my oh my... She would have been a good pick for Trump, though. Kind of peas from the same pod.

Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact. -- George Eliot (Mary Anne Evans)

02 Nov 2021 09:07 - 02 Nov 2021 09:08 #16 by Rick

FredHayek wrote: Interesting stat, Nigerian Americans earn more than the median American. So do Indian-Americans and Asian-Americans. Maybe it isn't about race?

It is about race, but not in the way the left wants us to talk about. The left is all about finding the "oppressor" instead of finding the root causes. Finding the root causes would involve looking at actual data and statistics instead of unproven narratives that blame oppressors. I BELIEVE the success of any individual stems from the family and environment one grows up in and not from outside forces. I also know that incomplete families and bad environments are a result from bad policies as well as decades of past oppression and unequal treatment. The key is to focus on curing the bad outcomes instead of always just looking for some group to blame, which is what CRT is all about.

George Orwell

26 Nov 2021 20:50 #17 by Blazer Bob

GeorgeM wrote: ...
Critical Race Theory? My professors at the University of Colorado—surely a cesspool of liberalism—didn’t teach CRT. Maybe they’d never heard of it. I first heard about it from Trumplicans, though their hair on fire bastardized version is intellectually dishonest. CRT is a dry and esoteric set of ideas debated in obscure academic journals. It simply attempts to explain the effect of institutionalized racial bias extant in our history.

George now that that has been thoroughly debunked to the point but even Bill Maher felt obligated to state it in public.
I was wondering if you intended to correct your statement defend your statement or simply stand mute. Parents are not turning into domestic terrorists simply because history is being taught in school.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds