Dilbert Comic Strip Pulled From 77 Newspapers Today

21 Sep 2022 05:51 #1 by FredHayek
Would this be considered the same as banning books from elementary school libraries?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Sep 2022 07:20 #2 by koobookie
I don't know to what you are referring, since you didn't provide any sort of link or article for us to research.

21 Sep 2022 07:37 #3 by Freezeman

21 Sep 2022 08:21 #4 by koobookie
Apparently, providing a link in the initial post of the thread is so difficult for some people. Fred could have easily provided the link for the article in his post, then we would all have the information needed to rationally discuss the topic. Why should everyone else have to do Fred's work?

21 Sep 2022 08:48 #5 by ramage
I read "Dilbert" most everyday but I do it via the internet.
dilbert.com

Scott Adams, the creator/author, stated that the decision was made by Lee Enterprises, which owns the 77 papers. It is a private company not a public entity like a library. For those interested the following is a list of newspapers owned by Lee.
lee.net/markets/

Posting one's opinion or asking a question does not need a link.
If you are interested or uninterested in the posting is your choice.

21 Sep 2022 09:11 #6 by koobookie
Yes, it is my choice, but if Fred wanted intelligent conversation or discussion, he should provide the information to which he's referring. This really isn't that hard. All he had to do was link to the article he was reading, with perhaps a quote. Then we'd be talking about that instead if this.

21 Sep 2022 09:27 #7 by FredHayek
I offer you the option of finding your own source since you refuse to consider so many good sources.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

21 Sep 2022 09:39 #8 by koobookie

FredHayek wrote: I offer you the option of finding your own source since you refuse to consider so many good sources.

So, you just read something on the internet and make a random comment without showing your source. I'm beginning to think you really don't want a discussion based on facts, but one based upon your own bias.

Honestly, Fred, all I wanted was for you to link to where you read the story. That's it. Then I would go read it and we'd be talking about Dilbert instead of your lack of providing information.

In the future, would you please provide the source of the story you are reading? It's just common courtesy.

21 Sep 2022 09:47 #9 by Rick
There’s another really easy option for people who are offended by people who don’t provide a link… ignore the thread and move along. I have no interest in the topic since I don’t read that comic, or any comic for that matter. I only became interested when I read the reactions to Fred’s unacceptable crime. Thanks for the laugh.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

21 Sep 2022 10:01 #10 by koobookie

Rick wrote: There’s another really easy option for people who are offended by people who don’t provide a link… ignore the thread and move along. I have no interest in the topic since I don’t read that comic, or any comic for that matter. I only became interested when I read the reactions to Fred’s unacceptable crime. Thanks for the laugh.

But Rick, I wasn't offended. I was genuinely interested in the topic, so I made an inquiry into his source. It wasn't an unacceptable crime by Fred, either - that's your drama. It's just common courtesy to provide information when making a statement. How easy would it have been for Fred to say "Dilbert's been pulled from 77 papers. Here's the link...." Then I would have clicked on the link to his information source and we could have had a nice discussion about censorship or private enterprise, but no, now we're talking about debate and discussion protocol.

Seriously, why should I have had to do Fred's work? Why should I have to research a claim made by Fred? It's Debate 101.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds