Are We Still Saving the Whales?

02 Feb 2023 11:03 #11 by FredHayek
Or maybe the whale has made a mental error. Humans make mistakes all the time, why not whales. Especially if they are beached by a lead whale.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Feb 2023 09:25 #12 by Rick

homeagain wrote:
No problem.....if a "thing" elects to get rid of the pain because it can no longer have quality of life,to me,that means ending it's life. The whale INTENTIONALLY beaches itself to die.(because it intuitively knows it is
not WHOLE AND HEALTHY)......the pain is the impetus. It ends the pain.

Everything you just say is 100% your opinion. I’m looking for EXPERT opinions that back up your claim. Do you have any studies you can share that conclude animals of any species intentionally kill themselves?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

03 Feb 2023 11:54 #13 by homeagain

homeagain wrote:

Rick wrote:

homeagain wrote: ..MY BELIEF, WHALES R BEACHING THEMSELVES (FOR REASON ABOVE)AS A MEANS OF SUICIDE...LIFE IS UNBEARABLE,SICKNESS HAS REPLACED HEALTH AND JUST LIKE HUMANS ....THEY COMMIT SUICIDE JMO

Interesting theory. Have you ever read any kind of valid study that suggests animals can decide to off themselves? Maybe we can be like Canada and start helping these poor depressed animals out by making their struggle easier by killing them.

I’m sorry, I just don’t buy into that since I believe animals have a natural instinct to survive at all costs. Animals understand the value of life much better than humans imo, at least more than the current population of humans.

You did somewhat dodge my point, HA. If our green energy ambitions end up killing more wildlife than carbon emitting fuels, would that matter to you? I’m not saying millions of acres of solar panels and windmills are doing that, but what if they are? Are those animals an acceptable expense?

www.livescience.com/32818-why-do-whales-beach-themselves-.html

Individual whales may beach themselves for a host of reasons. Genetic mutations, illnesses from infections or parasites, injuries from predators or entanglements in fishing gear and old age may all play a role, according to cetacean science researchers at Whitehead lab at Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia.

Perhaps your understanding of nature needs to be revised.

I HAVE PROVIDED U A SOURCE....PAY ATTENTION

04 Feb 2023 11:30 #14 by Rick

homeagain wrote:

homeagain wrote:

Rick wrote:

homeagain wrote: ..MY BELIEF, WHALES R BEACHING THEMSELVES (FOR REASON ABOVE)AS A MEANS OF SUICIDE...LIFE IS UNBEARABLE,SICKNESS HAS REPLACED HEALTH AND JUST LIKE HUMANS ....THEY COMMIT SUICIDE JMO

Individual whales may beach themselves for a host of reasons. Genetic mutations, illnesses from infections or parasites, injuries from predators or entanglements in fishing gear and old age may all play a role, according to cetacean science researchers at Whitehead lab at Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia.
[/b]
Perhaps your understanding of nature needs to be revised.

I HAVE PROVIDED U A SOURCE....PAY ATTENTION

I've read this quote a few times just in case I missed something. Please highlight the part that claims the whales intentionally kill themselves. Maybe there's another paragraph you forgot to post? I've done a lot of looking and I've seen no scientific studies that confirms suicide. Being sick or confused and ending up on the beach does not prove that the animals intended to die. It's your reading comprehension that is lacking my friend.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds