LOGIC is lacking....look at vested interest,as an owner

09 Jul 2023 12:03 #1 by homeagain
www.medpagetoday.com/opinion/second-opin...7-09&eun=g1977234d0r

The Affordable Care Act (ACA) imposed severe restrictions on physician-owned hospitals, preventing the formation of new physician-owned hospitals and limiting the expansion of existing ones. Since then, almost one-quarter of physician-owned hospitals have been acquired, changed ownership, or closed. CMS recently doubled-down on the ACA's restrictions in their 2024 proposal.

Using newly available price transparency data, our study JAMA Network Open revealed that both commercial negotiated prices and cash prices in physician-owned hospitals were about one-third lower than their competitors across eight common services.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Jul 2023 17:12 #2 by ramage
Not sure what your subject line is trying to convey. The ACA was supported by all the large national hospital chains. The government knew full well that this would be a major step towards corporatization of medical care. Not only did physician-owned hospitals disappear but private practices were absorbed.
Why did physicians sell their practices ? Here is one example:
When I did a procedure in my office, I could bill only for the procedure. If done in the clinic area of a hospital, not only was my fee for doing the procedure billed but also a facility fee which more often than not was greater than the physician fee. (Check one of your bills for an outpatient procedure done at a hospital's outpatient facility).
We, MD's, also could no longer bill for procedures in a full standing ambulatory setting if we had a financial interest in that center. The rules have been modified but the principle is still there.

10 Jul 2023 06:34 #3 by homeagain
Not sure what your subject line is trying to convey.

iF I have a financial stake in operations/running of the facility,my level of involvement is going to be HIGH,which translates to overseeing quality and a m.o. of progressive thinking/innovative ideas.JMO

10 Jul 2023 08:10 #4 by FredHayek
My old GP used to have his own practice, but all the new regulations and rules made him sell out to SCL. Government really needs to make medical care less complicated.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

10 Jul 2023 12:39 #5 by ramage
Your old GP is one of tens of thousands of M.D.s that sold their practices to large corporate hospital organizations. We simply could not compete with them. They have departments that do nothing more than code and fill forms required by the government. this cost is passed on to the patient, whereas a private practice cannot. Why? the government wants to obliterate private practice physicians. They have largely succeeded.
All of my grandchildren and their parents are not under CMS b virtue of their age. Soon, I fear, that the government will have its tentacles into private insurance. Thus far the government's attempts have been rebuffed.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds