PROFITING practices....purposeful mis management,....RETHINK RISKS

06 Aug 2023 12:44 #1 by homeagain
www.medpagetoday.com/opinion/second-opin...8-06&eun=g1977234d0r

A recent commentary in a in the New England Journal of Medicine identified "misaligned healthcare economics" as one of the primary drivers of boarding. It is better business for hospitals to keep their medical floors near capacity, prioritize beds for surgical patients who bring in more money, and not leave a buffer of open rooms available for predictable surges of ED patients (every Monday afternoon). If more than 90% of beds are full upstairs on Sunday, hospital revenues may be optimized, but dangerous ED gridlock becomes inevitable.

Despite decades of academic work demonstrating the dangers. the only standard set by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) on ED boarding is a recommended 4-hour maximum boarding time (we're way past that on a good day), with no mandatory reporting requirements.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Aug 2023 14:29 #2 by ramage
"ED boarding is a recommended 4-hour maximum boarding time (we're way past that on a good day), with no mandatory reporting requirements."
What is your definition of boarding time?

06 Aug 2023 20:30 - 06 Aug 2023 20:34 #3 by homeagain
I had never heard the phrase until this article,HOWEVER,i HAVE WITNESSED IT. My brother has experienced it in Fairbanks (which is a third world country. I expected it to happen there)...several times he was in a holding pattern in a hallway,waiting for admit into a room.(8 hours)

BUT, it happened in Mesa,Ariz 18 mo ago when he had issues with his heart...most of the morning and all afternoon in a hallway. I was stunned. RETHINK your doctor/hospital choices,better yet,RETHINK your pov
on health issues. ASK questions about hospital policies and read the fine print, are they practicing conscience healthcare (belief system that withholds certain procedures by the doctor/hospital and is LEGAL)

I left the office of my back doctor,because he merged with a group under the umbrella of CENTURA,THEIR POLICIES ARE DRACONIAN

Most major medical is performed in Grand Jct,on the Westernslope,ST.MARY'S hospital IS CATHOLIC
*CONSCIENCE healthcare" is their policy." They do not disclose that,is my under standing.

www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/fea...8-06&eun=g1977234d0r

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds