Generation X Wealthier Than Baby Boomers

05 Oct 2023 08:59 #1 by FredHayek

This graph tears apart the Conventional Wisdom that Baby Boomers are the most well off. Maybe Generation X are just louder with their whining?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Oct 2023 09:07 #2 by Rick
I don’t understand what you mean by “whining”, Please elaborate. I do believe that gen x is the last generation that surpasses the previous generation in wealth and opportunity. The war on affordable energy will ensure future generations will suffer greatly and peak standard of living is in our rear view mirror.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

05 Oct 2023 13:39 #3 by homeagain
JMO......GEN x ER'S r more inclined to be entrepreneurial and do side gigs...gig economy....multiple jobs that r lucrative....boomers were corporate loyal and Gen Xers saw where that got the older gen, SCREWED, so-o they branched out,found their niche and profited by NOT being sheep.

05 Oct 2023 17:48 #4 by FredHayek

Rick wrote: I don’t understand what you mean by “whining”, Please elaborate. I do believe that gen x is the last generation that surpasses the previous generation in wealth and opportunity. The war on affordable energy will ensure future generations will suffer greatly and peak standard of living is in our rear view mirror.

I think Baby Boomers were more likely to shoulder their burdens and not complain. Generation X are more likely to complain and demand a work-life balance.

05 Oct 2023 17:51 #5 by Rick
What do you mean by “corporate loyal”? I have several friends who are very well off and have big nest eggs after long corporate careers. I’m not sure how one could be successful working any job without being loyal to the company. If that individual doesn’t feel justly compensated, nobody forces them to stay.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

05 Oct 2023 18:38 #6 by FredHayek
Agree. My corporate job gave me awesome stock options. Techs were getting a million dollars worth of stock.
I got to retire at 51. Doubt a government job will give me a payout like that.

05 Oct 2023 18:51 #7 by homeagain
U r speaking to an ex AT&T occupational employee (17 years), my DH was in middle management....the FIRST betrayal was he had a defined benefits plan,that was switched to cash balance (BIG difference),second betrayal,perks (and there were many)slowly disappeared,bonus became less lucrative
(even tho he was asked to enlarge his district responsibilities,number of states went up and number of teks to do the job went down)......the motto back then was "take ever opportunity to delight the customer"...what a load of crap,not sufficient staffing to get the job done,let alone "delight the customer. He WAS LOYAL FOR 32 YEARS and then hit the brick wall....the health benefits being the last straw,GROUP went away and we were handed over to Medicare. Here's the truth, UNLESS u have a mentor at a very high level within the company,
WHO WILL SHEPARD YOU THRU THE SYSTEM,YOUR CHANCE AT MAKING BIG BUCKS RETIREMENT
R SMALL.

As for my experience....I had various jobs, one of them was 800/watts provisioning as a senior operation clerk. There were several centers across the United States that had this responsibility. WE, IN DENVER,
had consistently on time delivery of service (orders completed by expected due date) WE ranked at the top of the list for this accomplishment....orders missed was NOT an option. THEN, one day they announced they were closing some offices ....no one knew which locations were being hit, it turns out that our EXCELLENCE AT HIT THE NUMBERS DID NOT MATTER,WE WERE CLOSING and Pleasant California was getting our sector.......so,for working your ass off to satisfy the customer.U get replaced.

The Gen Xer' s were smart enough to know there is NO LOYALTY to the employee and opted to be their own boss and build their own niche....working their asses of for THEIR future success.

06 Oct 2023 08:39 #8 by FredHayek
Anecdotes? I know IT guys working for Google that are making 200K a year plus stock options. Also civil engineers making that much. Getting paid that well for a job that they only have to visit the office once a week.
Who is taking advantage of who?

06 Oct 2023 10:18 #9 by Rick
The bottom line is that people have free will and can move around careers as they wish. I know that after a year of getting a raw deal from my employer, I'd be looking for another job. If I stayed at that job for 17 years feeling that I was being screwed the whole time, I'm 100% sure that would be my fault, not my employer's fault. But that's just me.

George Orwell

06 Oct 2023 16:51 #10 by homeagain

FredHayek wrote: Agree. My corporate job gave me awesome stock options. Techs were getting a million dollars worth of stock.
I got to retire at 51. Doubt a government job will give me a payout like that.

DH retired at 58,company wanted to dump senior staff (that had ALL THE KNOWLEDGE),and hired off the street ,lower pay...NO BACK DOOR KNOWLEDGE remained.( crunched the numbers of the offer,it was equal to soc. sec....OUT THE DOOR,,AND NEVER LOOKED BACK.

to address u RICK......I was single, leaving alone (no room mates) I had an option of shifts. I am not 9-5.so my shift preference was swing or splits...(splits were more money) I had a union behind me that protected my ass,(and I utilized them several times and won each time) GREAT health benefits (at the time) stock options and 401K MATCH, time on Sundays 1 and 1/2 ,DOUBLE time on holidays. (no family,so I always took holidays).......room mates r not my style, so I stuck it out and bled red for them. UNTIL I had three deaths in 6 month time frame. When two deaths occurred within 3 weeks of each other,my BMOC(big man on campus)boss payed me bereavement benefits for one,but withheld the second check. (Grandmother first,then mother deceased).......CALLED THE UNION,SAT WITH THE BMOC AND THE UNION REP.....he complied when the rep said"Jim that is pretty cold,pay her bereavement pay.".......THAT was the defining moment of NOT making 20 years with company.. I took leave of absence,with the understanding I might not have a job upon return..........NOT returning was the best decision of my life...

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds