The EV Dream is Dying

21 Nov 2023 20:33 #1 by Rick
The EV Dream is Dying was created by Rick
As if there was ever a way to make that happen in the first place. I work in the industry and I talk to a lot of dealers who actually know more than the fools in Washington about damand. Now I realize I'm likely to get some backlash (hopefully), but this is something I've been predicting, on this and other boards for years.

I welcome anyone who disagrees to explain how this country can afford the infrastructure to support EV's and how the averge poor and middle class citizen will be able to puirchase an EV... everyone who is currently driving a car. My mind is open.... hit me.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Nov 2023 20:39 #2 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic The EV Dream is Dying
I think EV's work in certain circumstances and can decrease our consumption of fossil fuels. Example, city folk who don't drive large distances. Suburb folk who can plug in cars at home.

But it is a horrible idea to ban ICE automobiles. Let Americans have choices.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

22 Nov 2023 08:35 #3 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic The EV Dream is Dying
It's not as much about giving Americans a choice, most of them don't have a choice, they can afford what they can afford, and that's not a new EV. As for saving on fossil fuels, what do you think EV's are powered by? A battery? I've done some research on these new fast chargers and there's now way the masses could use enough of those at one time without building many more power plants that use fossil fuels... tehy don't want nuclear either.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

22 Nov 2023 09:56 #4 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic The EV Dream is Dying
www.popsci.com/science/cold-fusion-low-energy-nuclear-reaction/

The field has two pressing priorities. One is to attract attention with a high-quality research paper that clearly demonstrates an anomaly, ideally published in a reputable journal like Nature or Science. “Then, I think, there will be a big influx of resources and people,” says Metzler.

A second, longer-term goal is to explain how cold fusion might work. The laws of physics, as scientists understand them today, do not have a consensus answer for why cold fusion could happen at all.

Metzler doesn’t see that open question as a problem. “Sometimes people have made these arguments: ‘Oh, cold fusion contradicts established physics,’ or something like that,” he says. But he believes there are many unanswered questions in nuclear physics, especially with larger atoms. “We have an enormous amount of ignorance when it comes to nuclear systems,” he says.

Yet answers would have major benefits, other experts argue. “As long as it’s not understood, a lot of people in the scientific community are put off,” says Nagel. “They’re not willing to pay any attention to it.”

It is, of course, entirely possible that cold fusion is an illusion. If that’s the case, then ARPA-E’s grants may give researchers more proof that nothing is there. But it’s also possible that something is at work behind the scenes.

And, LENR proponents say, the Fleischmann and Pons saga is now fading as younger researchers enter the field with no memory of 1989. Perhaps that will finally be what lets LENR emerge from the pair’s shadow.“If there is a nuclear anomaly that occurs,” says Messinger, “my hope is that the wider physics community is ready to listen.”

Rahul Rao
Rahul Rao

Rahul Rao is a former intern and contributing science writer for Popular Science since early 2021. He covers physics, space, technology, and their intersections with each other and everything else. Contact the author here.

Energy
Physics

We (as a species) r in our infancy stage of learning.....there is so-o-o much we do NOT know about nuclear physics....there is an ANSWER.... we just have to evolve and have an open mind.

22 Nov 2023 10:26 #5 by FredHayek
Since EV sales are down, Democrat fascist governors are stepping in. Governor Murphy of New Jersey is banning new ICE car sales after 2035.
How many new power plants will they be required to build? Will the power lines hold up to hurricanes and Nor Easters?

And watch, government will be exempted from this new unfunded mandate on citizens.

23 Nov 2023 09:24 #6 by Rick
Murphy isn't smart enough to see what will happen to his state as these authoritarian policies go into affect. People and their tax dollars are just going to leave for states that still have some sanity and freedom.

George Orwell

23 Nov 2023 12:01 #7 by FredHayek
New twist in the EV battery issues per the WSJ. Due to approaching recessions in Europe and China, the prices for raw material batteries are declining. Going so low that mines and refineries are losing money and choosing to decrease production.

01 Dec 2023 19:47 #8 by Rick
Electric vehicle owners report 80% more problems than with conventional cars and trucks amid ‘growing pains’ for the industry, Consumer Reports says

Electric vehicles have proved far less reliable, on average, than gasoline-powered cars, trucks and SUVs, according to the latest survey by Consumer Reports, which found that EVs from the 2021 through 2023 model years encountered nearly 80% more problems than did vehicles propelled by internal combustion engines.

Consumer Reports said EV owners most frequently reported troubles with battery and charging systems as well as flaws in how the vehicles’ body panels and interior parts fit together. The magazine and website noted that EV manufacturers are still learning to construct completely new power systems, and it suggested that as they do, the overall reliability of electric vehicles should improve.

Now, not to gloat, but I did start this thread on the 23rd and this article was from the 29th.:)

You think the government full of morons should be able to pick and choose whatever they want, or to be more clear, what they want us to want? They dangle this shiny new idea in front of our eyes without ever pulling out a calculator. Domestic manufacturers are getting crushed with losses and some of you still think this is going to work? Even if they were reliable and the prices came down, you still have an infrastructure problem larger than 3x our national debt, that we'll never be able to pay off. China and India are in trouble too and they will never sacrifice their people for the climate change warriors... so what's the point, if what we do doesn't matter... we adapt.

Is our government going to keep crushing us by continuing to force the more expensive and less reliable green dream... even if they know it can't work? As long as Democrats have the power to do so, they will continue to hurt Americans with their forced demand BS.
fortune.com/2023/11/29/electric-vehicle-...roblems-gas-powered/

George Orwell

02 Dec 2023 07:55 - 02 Dec 2023 07:55 #9 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic The EV Dream is Dying
I purchased a hybrid in 2016. The reason: a model with the specifications that we were looking for was not available as an ICE auto and would have to be ordered, taking 3-6 months. But they did have the sought after vehicle in the hybrid form. The salesman related that the price was $2000 more but we wold receive a $7000 tax credit. It was a no-brainer.
The electric motor is a joke getting very little mileage on it alone, however the ICE is exactly the engine in the non-hybrid model.
I expect the sales of EVs will plummet if the tax credit is ever taken away.

03 Dec 2023 08:56 #10 by FredHayek

62K for the new cyber truck. It is even bulletproof against pistol rounds. Perfect truck for downtown Denver! And 40K cheaper than an F-150.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds