The EV Dream is Dying

04 Dec 2023 12:48 #11 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic The EV Dream is Dying
WSJ article today says that EV's are more expensive to repair and that fewer places will work on them. My nephew's Toyota dealership isn't allowed to park EV's indoors overnight for insurance purposes. Will home insurance companies require that too?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Dec 2023 19:20 #12 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic The EV Dream is Dying
There's a shortage of ICE mechanics and there's a lot more of those cars. I don't see EV's being that much harder to work on but the cost of parts are going to be pretty steep.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

06 Dec 2023 07:51 #13 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic The EV Dream is Dying
My nephew is a mechanic and he says EV cars are pretty easy to repair. Just plug in and replace...if you have the spare parts.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

06 Dec 2023 08:54 #14 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic The EV Dream is Dying

FredHayek wrote: My nephew is a mechanic and he says EV cars are pretty easy to repair. Just plug in and replace...if you have the spare parts.

That's right, which is why so many autoworkers will get laid off. Those cars are much easier to build with robotics.

That doesn't mean they will be affordable, reliable, or desirable to the average middle class American, especially those who don't have a house where they can charge their car every day. How many people live in apartments or condos that don't have their own garage and charger?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds