FISCAL FITNESS AND FAILURE......watch what happens.

02 Jan 2024 16:11 #1 by homeagain
www.reuters.com/world/us/total-us-public...ng-fight-2024-01-02/

Congress returns to Washington next week to tackle Jan. 19 and Feb. 2 deadlines for settling government spending through September, amid Republican demands to reduce fiscal 2024 discretionary spending below caps agreed in June. Lawmakers also hope to pass emergency aid for Ukraine and Israel, possibly with unrelated U.S. border security provisions attached.

Failure to approve the one-dozen fiscal 2024 spending bills would plunge Washington agencies into shutdown mode. But reaching compromise could become more difficult with November presidential and congressional elections coming quickly into focus.

Maya MacGuineas, president of the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, a fiscal watchdog group, called the $34 trillion federal debt figure "a truly depressing achievement," attributing it to political leaders' unwillingness to make difficult fiscal choices.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Jan 2024 16:18 #2 by ramage
Is this a FYI posting? I see no opinions from you. Simply an internet news article. Do you agree or disagree with what you have posted?

02 Jan 2024 17:46 - 02 Jan 2024 17:48 #3 by homeagain
Yes, it is PSA.......because all the present topics take 2nd to THIS FUBAR......we can not get our priorities
aligned. SO, Q1 and poss. Q2 r queuing up as quite a risk for recession.. JMO
'
''political leaders' unwillingness to make difficult fiscal choices''.....what a shock.

02 Jan 2024 18:04 #4 by ramage
Does your response mean that you are in agreement with all that this article professes?
Are you saying that the reuters.com article is a PSA? They are a for profit news organization. But you think that this is a PSA (Pubic Service Announcement)?

03 Jan 2024 08:06 #5 by homeagain

ramage wrote: Is this a FYI posting? I see no opinions from you. Simply an internet news article. Do you agree or disagree with what you have posted?

U asked, I responded...I then gave u my opinion ......I do not understand the confusion.

03 Jan 2024 09:30 #6 by Rick
So does that mean you're ok with letting the Democrats spend as much as they want? They say Republicans are obstructionists if they try to reign in spending... would you agree?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

03 Jan 2024 16:54 #7 by homeagain
I posted before....NO ONE gets all they want. It's called compromise. I do not get all things requested,U do not get all things requested,we each walk away with a loss(and some wins)......BUT THAT'S TO ADULT an action plan.

03 Jan 2024 17:44 #8 by Rick
Yet if Republicans want the border closed, they have to agree to fund every war on the planet. Sometimes you have to shove compromise where the sun don’t shine. America is more important than Democrat wish lists.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

04 Jan 2024 06:09 #9 by homeagain
THEN u suffer the consequences of the act of selfish stupidity, it is a CHOICE. resolution or risk of recession. ADULT OR CHILD MENTALITY......The epitome of all that is wrong with America, (within this time frame in history)

05 Jan 2024 08:33 #10 by Rick

homeagain wrote: THEN u suffer the consequences of the act of selfish stupidity, it is a CHOICE. resolution or risk of recession. ADULT OR CHILD MENTALITY......The epitome of all that is wrong with America, (within this time frame in history)

If your husband wanted to burn the house to the ground, is there some compromise that would be possible? The people you think are smart enough to run this country are wrecking it. You don't open your borders to the entire planet and then expect good things to happen. The destruction is on purpose and Republicans should not compromise with those fools unless they actually come to the table with good ideas.

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds