Birthers Fear Bad Economy

27 Aug 2010 10:07 #1 by FredHayek
:wink:
Actually my title is misleading. In a AP story out today, the US birthrate is the lowest in 100 years. Seems people are putting off starting a family until the economy improves, if it does.
Of course, this will just slow the economy more, less births, mean less spending on diapers, baby clothes, etc. Nothing stimulates the economy more than having 2 sets of grandparents opening the wallet for the new kiddos.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Aug 2010 10:13 #2 by AspenValley
Definitely not a good sign, I agree.

Additionally - one thing I have rarely seen discussed in the press is the "collateral damage" a tanking housing market has on other segments of the economy. I don't have the figures offhand, but every time a family buys a house (whether new or existing) they also typically also buy furniture, tools, insurance, and even a new car. It adds up to quite a lot of money being pumped into the economy every time a house changes hands. With sales so slow in housing, it impacts a lot of other industries, too.

27 Aug 2010 10:26 #3 by Martin Ent Inc
Not if you watch some of the reality shows.
Kate and 8
19 and counting
accidental quads
where are they coming from.

27 Aug 2010 11:01 #4 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Birthers Fear Bad Economy
I have also heard the reverse about birth rates. If people don't have the money to go out, they stay home and have sex instead.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

27 Aug 2010 11:04 #5 by AspenValley

SS109 wrote: I have also heard the reverse about birth rates. If people don't have the money to go out, they stay home and have sex instead.

The birth rate dropped A LOT during the Great Depression.

27 Aug 2010 11:34 #6 by Martin Ent Inc
That's was do to the fact that everyone was Depressed.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds