YAY!!!... The Recession is Finally Over!

20 Sep 2010 13:20 #11 by The Viking

Satchmo wrote: We just had a big layoff last week at my company. My DH's business has slowed to almost a stop in the past 2 months. There was a bit of a rush, and now, almost nothing.

Sure sign of the end of a recession acording to economists and Dems!!! :bash :bash

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Sep 2010 13:27 #12 by Nmysys
Archer:

It is so easy to act disgusted and walk away, where it might have been a difficult question to answer for you. You said we are all layman and should leave the economics to the experts. From that I assumed that you were an expert, so I asked a simple question, which either you can or cannot answer.

BTW do you know the educational background of all of us who you so openly despise? Want to guess mine?

How about Outdoor338, or the Viking?

Ridicule us all you like. It puts you into the box containing the Elites, the Progressives who think they are smarter than all of the rest of us and only they know how we should live our lives. Pity!!! You might have been able to contribute some knowledge herein.

20 Sep 2010 13:36 #13 by archer
Stop making assumptions and we might be able to have a discussion....i did not claim to be an economist nor an expert.....thus i refrained from answering your question as i have not the expertise to do so.....I would certainly believe the economists and those more schooled in economics than i before i would place a lot of stock in the anecdotal evidence being batted around here.....even during the very best years there are people who are in bad situations, people lose jobs, and houses are lost, small businesses and big corps fail.......these do not make a recession, they are symptoms. I did not ridicule you, though I find it interesting that you think i did, i guess I hit a little close to home on my comment that some look silly making pronouncements about things they may not be well schooled in....I did not say you weren't, but I do seriously doubt you are all experts in economics.....i am simply an accountant, and I don't make any claims to have the answers, I just read, sort thru the varous opinions of those who know more than I do, and then form my own opinions.....opinions being the operative word there.

20 Sep 2010 13:53 #14 by Nmysys
You did touch a nerve. I admit it. Never having been a bean counter or worked as an accountant, doesn't take away from the education received. We all have opinions, some of us from experiences, some of us from education, some of us from both and more. I won't bore you with my degrees, but I, too have worked most if not all of my life in the financial world. IMHO there are absolutely no signs that the recession is over. Just because the report says it, doesn't make it so.

We the people see no signs that the recession is over. Yes, at all times there are signs of some people suffering some financial distress, some unemployment, some downturns in the economy. These are not normal times, nor are there any indicators that the economy is making any rebounds whatsoever. No matter how it is spun around in circles, the fact that nine states did not report their figures, has a huge impact on the validity of this report. As you are sorry that you were misinterpreted, so am I, that you see reasons for disdain. Have a good day.

20 Sep 2010 14:08 - 20 Sep 2010 15:46 #15 by FredHayek
I know economists say it always takes Main Street longer to recover from a recession than Wall Street, but 15 months longer? And Wall Street isn't looking so good right now despite having huge bags of cash.
Maybe it is like the Doctor, take 2 pills and check back in a couple weeks. (Hoping the patient cures themselves.)

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

20 Sep 2010 14:25 #16 by pineinthegrass

Nmysys wrote: We the people see no signs that the recession is over. Yes, at all times there are signs of some people suffering some financial distress, some unemployment, some downturns in the economy. These are not normal times, nor are there any indicators that the economy is making any rebounds whatsoever. No matter how it is spun around in circles, the fact that nine states did not report their figures, has a huge impact on the validity of this report.

I'm not sure what point Outdoor was trying to make, but he talked about an article written back on Sept 9th by the same AP reporter whose article which was written today that I linked. The two articles have really nothing to do with each other. I guess he was trying to say don't trust that particular AP reporter? I'm not sure. But today's article has nothing to do about nine states supposedly not reporting figures.

So here's another article I got off the Drudge Report written by the more conservative Wall Street Journal. There is a group of economists (the NBER) who judge when recessions begin and end. They base it on several factors which were mentioned in the first article. Just because the recession ended in June 2009 does not mean everything is fine now. As the article said, it takes time for things to improve back to where they were before the recession. And if things get worse, then they might declare a new recession (a "double-dip"). And BTW, if it wasn't clear, I was being sarcastic in my original post. Maybe we need a sarcasm font... [sarcasm]...[/sarcasm] :wink:

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2010/09/20/nber-recession-ended-in-june-2009/

20 Sep 2010 14:46 #17 by outdoor338
Pine that's all I was trying to show, she has some mistakes in her articles..I like her research..but she was lacking on this article..JMTCW

20 Sep 2010 15:51 #18 by AV8OR
Archer,

There are some of us that do have a college background which covered Economics in our curriculum. We may be referred to as hicks up here, but we are educated hicks. When you generalize and accuse anyone that goes against YOUR line of thinking, it only makes you appear less knowledgeable.

I suppose while the country was in a deep Depression in the 30's, according to your statement, we weren't really in a Depression as we were "technically" in a "recovery." I wonder how those folks felt knowing that they were not really in a Depression.

"Martha, pack the car, we are going to town to celebrate. We are only in a recovery. Wait a minute, I don't have a job! Come to think of it, I don't have a house or a car!"

20 Sep 2010 16:22 #19 by outdoor338
I was called a hayseed from Conifer once...I loved it..I really have no education to speak of, but can hold my own when it comes to debating issues, maybe wayne doesn't think so..but, what the heck, I am learning as we get near the november elections..

20 Sep 2010 16:40 #20 by archer

AV8OR wrote: Archer,

There are some of us that do have a college background which covered Economics in our curriculum. We may be referred to as hicks up here, but we are educated hicks. When you generalize and accuse anyone that goes against YOUR line of thinking, it only makes you appear less knowledgeable.

I suppose while the country was in a deep Depression in the 30's, according to your statement, we weren't really in a Depression as we were "technically" in a "recovery." I wonder how those folks felt knowing that they were not really in a Depression.

"Martha, pack the car, we are going to town to celebrate. We are only in a recovery. Wait a minute, I don't have a job! Come to think of it, I don't have a house or a car!"

Oh come on....I didn't accuse everyone who thinks different than I do of anything...when the depression was officially over things in this nation were not back to normal....it was a long slow process to get there. Obviously you have your own definition of "the end of the recession" and it is different than the official one used by experts. Once again.....you're right, the experts are wrong......how much time do you have to spend polishing that pedestal you put yourself on?

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds