Memorial Day Weekend Thoughts

28 May 2010 09:19 #1 by FredHayek
One of the great things about America, when the bitter Civil War ended, the veterans from both sides are still honored today.
Not like other countries where the losing side gets lined up by firing squads, or all the defeated generals and politicians aren't vilified. I think this is partly Abraham Lincoln's speech extolling "malice to none", and partly the American way we forgive those.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 May 2010 10:33 #2 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Memorial Day Weekend Thoughts
Where have those values gone?
IMO, greed, power, elitism, progressivism, loyalty to lobbyists (and not the people), have been lost, and somehow we need to regain these values. And forgiveness only applies if it profits, somebody.

28 May 2010 10:54 #3 by Rockdoc

TPP wrote: Where have those values gone?
IMO, greed, power, elitism, progressivism, loyalty to lobbyists (and not the people), have been lost, and somehow we need to regain these values. And forgiveness only applies if it profits, somebody.

I'm a little confuse by your statement. Did you mean to say that "greed, power, elitism, progressivism" are values we should embrace or not embrace? I believe you suggested that their antonyms have been lost? Help me out here.

28 May 2010 15:17 #4 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Memorial Day Weekend Thoughts
History guys....Look into it before we all start patting eachother on the back this weekend

[youtube:2d0qe6jq]
[/youtube:2d0qe6jq]

30 May 2010 09:05 #5 by FredHayek

TPP wrote: Where have those values gone?

Actually I am not going to gloss over the history. There are many things to be ashamed of in our past, but also so much to be proud of. The military so many condemn did more for integregation than the Southern Democrats who openly fought against it. President, former General Eisenhower(R), sent federal troops to enforce integration in schools.

30 May 2010 09:43 #6 by RenaissanceLady
Memorial Day is one of the things which I am most proud of in this country. We got it right and helped wounds to heal by honoring both sides. It's also a time when we can honor those who have given it all for this country, no matter where they stood politically. I hope we don't allow this holiday, which shows America at its best, become some political weapon used against others. Memorial started by honoring both sides. We should keep it that way.

"I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex."
-- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy.

"Jesus loves me, this I know.
Touch your savior by the toe.
If he hollers, let him go.
And Bingo was his name-o."
-- Deeper Thoughts by RenaissanceLady

30 May 2010 10:28 #7 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Memorial Day Weekend Thoughts
My dad flew F-86's in Korea and he killed a lot of people on the ground...One year I half jokingly said "Hey dad, happy memorial day, thanks for keeping us all free!" He scoffed. We didn't talk about it then but I know that he thinks it was insanity, and all for nothing. Because it was- Lets get real. He also was a finalist in the astronaut program but he threw up during one of their tests..

I understand that very few share my opinion on this, and many think I'm being rude for expressing my feelings on this today, but I refuse to get teary eyed over killing a million civilians in Iraq, and it pisses me off to see others do that..By any definition, it's murder...

The WW2 soldiers were heroes, but I have a story about that too..My uncle flew fighter planes in the south pacific and I always used to ask him about it when I was a little kid. I asked him about dog fights with japs and everything cause I was so interested..He never had much to say..Then one time he said "[my name here], it's not like the movies, the two times I saw a Japanese planes we both turned tail and went the other way as fast as we could"

30 May 2010 16:03 #8 by FredHayek
VL,
While your dad may not think much of what he did in Vietnam, I am sure the Koreans who were south of the DMZ when it held are very happy we were there compared to the poor souls trapped in the PRK malnourished and smaller than their penisular cousins.

31 May 2010 08:59 #9 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Memorial Day Weekend Thoughts
Sincere Thank You to all Veterans and those currently serving.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

31 May 2010 11:19 #10 by Wayne Harrison
Remembering those who have fallen...

[clipsynd:1fjutpcn] www.clipsyndicate.com/video/play/1488790?wpid=8958 [/clipsynd:1fjutpcn]

An alternative way to look at it:

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." — General George S. Patton

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds