A Proposal

21 Oct 2010 05:25 #11 by cydl
Replied by cydl on topic A Proposal
The big "selling point" for the establishment of public education was to teach children civics - how our government works - which, I presume, would include, oh, at least a half-hour or so on the constitution!

Seems to me that we need to get back to that a bit. Memorizing crap to regurgitate on CSAPS is all well and good, but how about teaching kids to think for themselves! What a concept!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Oct 2010 17:55 #12 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic A Proposal

cydl wrote: The big "selling point" for the establishment of public education was to teach children civics - how our government works - which, I presume, would include, oh, at least a half-hour or so on the constitution!

Seems to me that we need to get back to that a bit. Memorizing crap to regurgitate on CSAPS is all well and good, but how about teaching kids to think for themselves! What a concept!

Here Here!...I've been sayin it for years..Who cares if Betsy Ross sowed the first flag? Who cares if Paul Revere put a lamp in a window, and why is it important to memorize all the presidents names? Is that so you can sound smart at dinner parties when you grow up? Who cares

21 Oct 2010 21:53 #13 by CC
Replied by CC on topic A Proposal
Wow archer....we agree on something.

22 Oct 2010 00:38 #14 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic A Proposal

Scruffy wrote: In light of the weapons grade stupidity shown by Delaware Republican candidate for Senate, Christine O'Donnell, concerning what is actually in the Constitution, I propose that the opening prayer in both houses of Congress (and the Supreme Court) be replaced with a reading of the United States Constitution and the Amendments.

Imagine the sonorous tones of James Earl Jones ringing throughout the hall “We the People of the United States…” and “Congress shall make no law…”

Indeed - the operative words being "Congress shall make no law". The amendment says nothing regarding the ability of a state to make such a law, does it now. In fact, a majority of the states had an established religion at the time the Constitution was adopted and there was one state that had an established religion until 1833, 44 years after the Constitution was ratified and put into effect. Where, then, does the federal government derive its power to decide that there shall be no prayer in a state public school because it is a violation of the 1st Amendment when the language of that amendment quite clearly restricts the ability of only the federal, and not the state, government to establish a religion?

22 Oct 2010 08:11 #15 by RenegadeCJ
Replied by RenegadeCJ on topic A Proposal

Vice Lord wrote: Here Here!...I've been sayin it for years..Who cares if Betsy Ross sowed the first flag? Who cares if Paul Revere put a lamp in a window, and why is it important to memorize all the presidents names? Is that so you can sound smart at dinner parties when you grow up? Who cares

Doesn't she know burying the flag is not the right way to dispose of one? :Whistle :lol:

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds