My Heart is Broken

10 Nov 2010 12:58 #11 by Residenttroll returns

pineinthegrass wrote:

SS109 wrote: No longer able to buy carbon credits? What will DiCaprio & Al Gore do to assuage their conscience the next time they have to fly their private jets across the ocean?

Good question. Hot air balloons?

Wait, NPR listeners know more about hot air balloons than we do....we should consult them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Nov 2010 13:33 #12 by BearMtnHIB
Replied by BearMtnHIB on topic My Heart is Broken
Yes - Cap & Trade is in the trash can thanks to the election. It wasn't a laughing matter though - the democrats really do want to establish a whole new tax system for carbon.

It is a pure move to collect more of our money, and while it's dead for the next 2 years they will try again as soon as they have the political configuration to do so again.

The system they seek - is one where the less desired (carbon forms) of energy are taxed so they cost more than alternative sources. Of course - for anyone with a basic economics understanding - this is the backasswards way of thinking about energy.

Instead of putting research money forward to develop economically viable sources of energy, they want to do the opposite - make the economic energy cost more than the alternative.

This is typical of all things leftist - just another altruistic pipe dream- the illusion that human nature can be elevated to some higher plane and ignoring the natural flow of market economics.

This is why it was doomed from the start - but don't call it dead just yet because one more election could spark the fire and make the dream of cap and trade very real again.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

11 Nov 2010 10:07 #13 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic My Heart is Broken
Not thanks to the election - it was dead long before then. It's dead because there's no political will, from any party, to overrule the powerful lobbyist interests on this issue.

What should happen first is the end of all subsidies to fossil fuel industries - they make enough profit and don't need the help. That money could either be used to pay down our debt, or be added to what's already being spent on renewable energy technology and research. I've already posted twice about oil and gas not being a true free market and until there's a sensible argument that it's not, then we can move on from the argument that renewable energy has to start solely on its on too.

Cap and trade is the most inefficient and inept way to go about reducing carbon use so I personally hope it's never put on the table again. But the true costs of using carbon based fuels as the majority of our energy production is not being factored in and that needs to change - both to encourage conservation and as incentive to move us toward more sustainable energy sources.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

11 Nov 2010 10:55 #14 by Residenttroll returns
:yeahthat:

Everyone has to love a scientist with common sense.

11 Nov 2010 16:09 #15 by Jonathan Hemlock
Replied by Jonathan Hemlock on topic My Heart is Broken

SS109 wrote: No longer able to buy carbon credits? What will DiCaprio & Al Gore do to assuage their conscience the next time they have to fly their private jets across the ocean?

It really was never more than a Cap & Trade, Bait & Switch, Birney Maddoff Ponzey scheme, anyway. :Crying: :Crying:

I repent for any misspellings.

11 Nov 2010 16:18 #16 by Jonathan Hemlock
Replied by Jonathan Hemlock on topic My Heart is Broken

BearMtnHIB wrote: This is typical of all things leftist - just another altruistic pipe dream- the illusion that human nature can be elevated to some higher plane and ignoring the natural flow of market economics.

This is why it was doomed from the start - but don't call it dead just yet because one more election could spark the fire and make the dream of cap and trade very real again.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Brilliantly stated. Thanks BearMtnHIB.  :Thanks: & :thumbsup:

Also typical of Leftist means, is to place blame somewhere only to capitalize on the outcome of that blame. There's truly no true concern for the environment, there's only the establishment of a means to financially benefit from a misguided effort to proclaim the environment is in jeopardy.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds