A Tea Party Letter, in its entirety. Not to be ignored

22 Nov 2010 16:59 #11 by LadyJazzer
You can't solve the problem by only cutting things... You have to raise revenue as well. You won't get there with nothing but cuts... (Unless, of course, we get serious about cutting a HUGE chunk of the pork from defense--which I'm TOTALLY for.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Nov 2010 17:02 #12 by Scruffy
I know it's from that bastion of liberal thought, the New York Times, but then we all know that reality does have a liberal slant.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010 ... aphic.html

It's an interactive program where you balance the 2015 and 2030 budget. I'm gonna give it a whirl.

22 Nov 2010 17:03 #13 by Jonathan Hemlock
Failure to be informed and an excess of reliance on those we elect, has gotten us to where we are today!

22 Nov 2010 17:19 #14 by Travelingirl

Scruffy wrote:

RenegadeCJ wrote:

Nmysys wrote: You could hope for respect in the morning!

I agree with TG about the part about one more debt ceiling increase, that it is the one part, that I don't like the sound of. Other than that, it is a great post.

Scruffy...love to hear what solutions you have for our long term deficit issues...

I don't want the debt ceiling raised, but I understand the macro economic reasons for doing so. I'm ok, if this is the last time. The impact of not raising it could cause massive economic waves....

Since, I'm not an economist, I don't have a solution. Sorry to disappoint, but I don't believe I've ever stated that I know what to do when it comes to our federal budget.

Reducing spending is obviously helpful, but I have no idea what programs to cut. Everything is precious to someone. Do we cut welfare? Defense? Bridges? I don't know. That's why we elect people to make these decisions on our behalf.

OMG Scruffy. That has to be the lamest post I've read from you in a while. No solutions? I thought the Dems had it all figured out!! The letter the Tea Party folks sent has, at the very least, an outline for a plan to restore our country. Heck, they even volunteered to help Congress go through each line item. Are you feeling ok? Just checkin'...

22 Nov 2010 17:22 #15 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic A Tea Party Letter, in its entirety. Not to be ignored

travelingirl wrote:

Scruffy wrote:

RenegadeCJ wrote:

Nmysys wrote: You could hope for respect in the morning!

I agree with TG about the part about one more debt ceiling increase, that it is the one part, that I don't like the sound of. Other than that, it is a great post.

Scruffy...love to hear what solutions you have for our long term deficit issues...

I don't want the debt ceiling raised, but I understand the macro economic reasons for doing so. I'm ok, if this is the last time. The impact of not raising it could cause massive economic waves....

Since, I'm not an economist, I don't have a solution. Sorry to disappoint, but I don't believe I've ever stated that I know what to do when it comes to our federal budget.

Reducing spending is obviously helpful, but I have no idea what programs to cut. Everything is precious to someone. Do we cut welfare? Defense? Bridges? I don't know. That's why we elect people to make these decisions on our behalf.

OMG Scruffy. That has to be the lamest post I've read from you in a while. No solutions? I thought the Dems had it all figured out!! The letter the Tea Party folks sent has, at the very least, an outline for a plan to restore our country. Heck, they even volunteered to help Congress go through each line item. Are you feeling ok? Just checkin'...

I have solutions..Lets cut the Defense budget by 80%

Who are we afraid of again?

22 Nov 2010 17:24 #16 by Scruffy

travelingirl wrote: OMG Scruffy. That has to be the lamest post I've read from you in a while. No solutions? I thought the Dems had it all figured out!! The letter the Tea Party folks sent has, at the very least, an outline for a plan to restore our country. Heck, they even volunteered to help Congress go through each line item. Are you feeling ok? Just checkin'...

It may be lame, but it is the truth. I'm just being honest. I have never claimed to know what to do when it comes to the economy. Do you honestly know the answers to balancing the budget and reducing the deficit? Can you do it without destroying the economy?

I do not know, okay? Would you rather I lie and spout talking points? Would you rather I make outrageous claims about how outraged I am about spending on this and cutting the budget there? I would think you would have appreciated an honest answer.

22 Nov 2010 17:26 #17 by PrintSmith
You'd not only have to cut the pork from the Defense budget, you'd have to cancel the whole department, along with every other department that falls under the label of "Discretionary" spending to balance the budget. Trimming the fat from around the ends of the DoD budget won't even make a dent in the deficits that are forecasted for the next 10 years, with or without Obamacare.

Seriously folks, everyone's ox is going to be gored to balance the budget. Everyone's. We need to decrease the current levels of spending by nearly 50% to have a chance at paying the principle amount of the national debt back. There is only one way to get to where we need to go and that is to cut the federal budget, every portion of the federal budget, by at least a third and to lower the tax rates to where investing in this nation is once again an attractive proposition.

We can't grow our way out of the hole, we can't tax our way out of it and we sure as hell can't spend our way out of it.

The only hope of getting out of the hole is to stop digging it deeper, which means capping the national debt, constitutionally if necessary, and getting rid of every program invented under the guise of "general welfare" for the individual welfare of the citizenry, including the Dept of Education, Housing and Urban Development, federal food stamps, Medicare (unless it can find a way to live within the confiscated revenues we all pay for the privilege of being employed), Medicare, Head Start, research grants and anything else that doesn't fall under the specifically granted powers contained in Article I Section 8 of our Constitution. History shows us that the Constitution gets tinkered with every 40-50 years. Rather than renovate it this time, I think we should do a little restoration work instead.

22 Nov 2010 17:31 #18 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic A Tea Party Letter, in its entirety. Not to be ignored

PrintSmith wrote: You'd not only have to cut the pork from the Defense budget, you'd have to cancel the whole department, along with every other department that falls under the label of "Discretionary" spending to balance the budget. Trimming the fat from around the ends of the DoD budget won't even make a dent in the deficits that are forecasted for the next 10 years, with or without Obamacare.

Seriously folks, everyone's ox is going to be gored to balance the budget. .

No it isn't! Lets cut the defense budget by 80% and see who attacks us...No one will because weve spent trillions in the last 50 years on defense- We have a huge military right now that dwarfs the rest of the worlds combined.. We quit privatising out our occupations and just fund defense enough to pay our soldiers wages..Our boys can go back to peeling potatoes for $86/month instead of paying Haliburton to do it at 5000 times the cost..Defense contractors are looting the treasury friends...Wake the f*ck up

22 Nov 2010 17:54 #19 by Travelingirl

PrintSmith wrote: You'd not only have to cut the pork from the Defense budget, you'd have to cancel the whole department, along with every other department that falls under the label of "Discretionary" spending to balance the budget. Trimming the fat from around the ends of the DoD budget won't even make a dent in the deficits that are forecasted for the next 10 years, with or without Obamacare.

Seriously folks, everyone's ox is going to be gored to balance the budget. Everyone's. We need to decrease the current levels of spending by nearly 50% to have a chance at paying the principle amount of the national debt back. There is only one way to get to where we need to go and that is to cut the federal budget, every portion of the federal budget, by at least a third and to lower the tax rates to where investing in this nation is once again an attractive proposition.

We can't grow our way out of the hole, we can't tax our way out of it and we sure as hell can't spend our way out of it.

The only hope of getting out of the hole is to stop digging it deeper, which means capping the national debt, constitutionally if necessary, and getting rid of every program invented under the guise of "general welfare" for the individual welfare of the citizenry, including the Dept of Education, Housing and Urban Development, federal food stamps, Medicare (unless it can find a way to live within the confiscated revenues we all pay for the privilege of being employed), Medicare, Head Start, research grants and anything else that doesn't fall under the specifically granted powers contained in Article I Section 8 of our Constitution. History shows us that the Constitution gets tinkered with every 40-50 years. Rather than renovate it this time, I think we should do a little restoration work instead.

:yeahthat: And the WASTE at the DOD!

22 Nov 2010 18:07 #20 by LadyJazzer

travelingirl wrote: :yeahthat: And the WASTE at the DOD!

:yeahthat:

Yep

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds