It's a great day to be a liberal

06 Jan 2011 13:02 #11 by LadyJazzer
Coming from the "Party of $MILLIONS in unreported cash from business & foreign interests" that's really funny!

rofllol :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Jan 2011 13:13 #12 by Blazer Bob

Science Chic wrote: Death...or conservitude? :biggrin:

Careful what you wish for. Before your youngest is a freshman in college you will self identify your self as a conservative or a libertarian.

06 Jan 2011 13:22 #13 by archer

neptunechimney wrote:

Careful what you wish for. Before your youngest is a freshman in college you will self identify your self as a conservative or a libertarian.

both my kids are long out of college and I am still a liberal, at least a social liberal. I have always been fiscally conservative, but not at the expense of a social conscience.

06 Jan 2011 14:32 #14 by ScienceChic

neptunechimney wrote:

It is entirely possible - I would never say never, especially as I started my life as a conservative. If conservatives were to enact campaign reform, reign in spending/balance the budget/eliminate wasteful spending and earmarks, tackle corruption, fix health care so its effective, efficient, accessible, and affordable for all, stop attacking science, and start making serious inroads on climate change mitigation I would support them wholeheartedly and enthusiastically!

What would it take for that to happen, I wonder?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

06 Jan 2011 14:41 #15 by archer

Science Chic wrote:

neptunechimney wrote:

It is entirely possible - I would never say never, especially as I started my life as a conservative. If conservatives were to enact campaign reform, reign in spending/balance the budget/eliminate wasteful spending and earmarks, tackle corruption, fix health care so its effective, efficient, accessible, and affordable for all, stop attacking science, and start making serious inroads on climate change mitigation I would support them wholeheartedly and enthusiastically!

What would it take for that to happen, I wonder?

they would have to become fiscally conservative liberals

:faint:

06 Jan 2011 14:41 #16 by LadyJazzer
For them to become liberals?

rofllol :lol:

06 Jan 2011 15:15 #17 by FredHayek
How will Daley run things, like his autocratic brother? Like Chicago hoodlum Rod Blago? A softer version of Rahm? Or a middle of the road compromiser who will help Obama triangulate?
Mara Liasson seems to think Daley will be a bridge to the GOP Congress and Senators.

And who will be the new press secretary...

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

06 Jan 2011 17:52 #18 by LOL

archer wrote: .....and I am still a liberal, at least a social liberal. I have always been fiscally conservative, but.....

Archer, I hear this alot, Social Liberal, Fiscal conservative. Interesting topic I think on its own.

It seems somewhat contradictory to me (in general), unless you fill in the details.

Some social liberal (ie entitlement/welfare) programs are big $$$ and ever expanding don't you think?
Food stamps for thought. :thumbsup: :pop

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

06 Jan 2011 19:37 #19 by archer
since you asked.....I believe the gov't should be run much the way a prudent family, or in my case a single mom, runs their household. You don't spend more than you take in, and you take every opportunity to save the surplus for the social programs and such rainy days as may occur (for our gov't, a couple of wars qualifies). First......when you have a surplus, you sock it away for the future.....I saved what ever I could to use for my kids educations (yeah, that's a social program I felt strongly about, both kids got help from me to get their degrees, in my daughters case 3 degrees) I also saved for retirement....another household social program. When you have a surplus, you don't go to your employer and say....hey I have extra money you don't have to pay me as much, like Bush went to the citizens and said, hey we have a gov't surplus here's your money back. Dumb.

If your income goes down, you cut back on non-essentials.....our government should do the same. If you aren't making enough to cover the social programs (I took on a second job to help the last kid thru school). The gov't can either raise taxes....horrors, or they can start making the hard decisions on earmarks, and other non-essential items in the budget. Like a family they need to learn how to do more with less......we all do it in our daily lives, our government does not.

The social liberal in me thinks much like someone who volunteers, gives to charity, feels that helping others is just as important as any other function of government. Social Security.....it is essential, too many seniors, especially women who have never worked, or held low paying jobs, could not save enough to fund their own retirement. Medicare.......same reasoning as above, I believe in giving seniors a break on healthcare costs once they are out of the workforce.......we want them to retire at a reasonable age and allow younger people to have those jobs and raise their families. Universal healthcare.....I believe when it all shakes out, this will end up saving more money then it costs......

I don't see fiscal conservative and social liberal as a problem, you have to determine your priorities and then fund them according to those priorities. Something else may have to give. If you want to live in this country, or a company wants to do business in this country, then they must pay their fair share to keeping the dream alive. Many do not......and that is an area of income that our elected officials refuse to explore for fear of angering either their constituents or their big doners.

06 Jan 2011 23:00 #20 by Photo-fish

SS109 wrote: And who will be the new press secretary...

Oprah!

:crossed:

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds