Helen Thomas is retiring after her racist remarks

07 Jun 2010 17:57 #11 by Wayne Harrison

RenaissanceLady wrote: Helen needs a bit of a history lesson (as do some others on this board).

When Moses pointed the way for Jews to enter the "promised land" there were already people living there. It wasn't unoccupied.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Jun 2010 18:22 - 23 Jun 2013 09:54 #12 by major bean

Regards,
Major Bean

07 Jun 2010 19:49 #13 by daisypusher

Wayne Harrison wrote:

RenaissanceLady wrote: Helen needs a bit of a history lesson (as do some others on this board).

When Moses pointed the way for Jews to enter the "promised land" there were already people living there. It wasn't unoccupied.

The Jews lived in Canaan, then went to Egypt, then went back to Canaan. It seems the Jews going into and out of Canaan is a recurring problem.

07 Jun 2010 20:20 #14 by bailey bud
Helen Thomas is Lebanese. (Tripoli - home of a very large Palestinian camp).

Were I to guess, I'd say she's fed up with the situation in Palestine, and was having a moment of identity rage (she's talked about the topic more than once over the past year). Her very first question to President Obama was "are there Nuclear nations in the Middle East?" (the answer is "yes" ---- Israel).

I think that Israel exists, and some people need to come to grips with that fact (the stance is mostly political, in sympathy with the Palestinian diaspora). At the same time - I have very little sympathy for Israel's assult on Gaza, and relief ships.

On the topic of education (a topic I know well, since I've travelled in 6 Arab countries) - one of the more prestigious institutions of higher education in the Middle East (where I was recently employed as an education advisor) ---- is NYU-Abu Dhabi. The institution is run by a Jewish person - Dr. Alfred Bloom. (note also the huge concentration of New York Jews on the NYU Board of Trustees).

. “Abu Dhabi and Dubai are moving towards greater openness and tolerance,”

--- Abe Foxman (who I've seen in Abu Dhabi).

Incidentally, I feel Ms. Thomas' comment was inappropriate - and borderline racist -- but I understand where the comment comes from.

07 Jun 2010 20:39 #15 by The Viking

bailey bud wrote: Helen Thomas is Lebanese. (Tripoli - home of a very large Palestinian camp).

Were I to guess, I'd say she's fed up with the situation in Palestine, and was having a moment of identity rage (she's talked about the topic more than once over the past year). Her very first question to President Obama was "are there Nuclear nations in the Middle East?" (the answer is "yes" ---- Israel).

I think that Israel exists, and some people need to come to grips with that fact (the stance is mostly political, in sympathy with the Palestinian diaspora). At the same time - I have very little sympathy for Israel's assult on Gaza, and relief ships.

On the topic of education (a topic I know well, since I've travelled in 6 Arab countries) - one of the more prestigious institutions of higher education in the Middle East (where I was recently employed as an education advisor) ---- is NYU-Abu Dhabi. The institution is run by a Jewish person - Dr. Alfred Bloom. (note also the huge concentration of New York Jews on the NYU Board of Trustees).

. “Abu Dhabi and Dubai are moving towards greater openness and tolerance,”

--- Abe Foxman (who I've seen in Abu Dhabi).

Incidentally, I feel Ms. Thomas' comment was inappropriate - and borderline racist -- but I understand where the comment comes from.

Crap..... If BB starts posting on here, I am really going to have to start to think and do research! :can't hear

07 Jun 2010 21:36 #16 by bailey bud
relax, Viking - I'm a band with just one song - and the choir director just happened to pick my tune, this week.

I'm sure you'll out-wit and out-debate me in all the other categories of world events (the Vikings out-navigated the Phoenicians).

07 Jun 2010 21:50 #17 by The Viking

bailey bud wrote: relax, Viking - I'm a band with just one song - and the choir director just happened to pick my tune, this week.

I'm sure you'll out-wit and out-debate me in all the other categories of world events (the Vikings out-navigated the Phoenicians).

lol True, that is why I picked them when I use to play Age of Empires. But I highly doubt I will out debate you. As I recall, that rarely happened.

07 Jun 2010 23:56 #18 by Wayne Harrison
If I remember correctly the Gaza Strip was seized by Israel in the Six Day War in '67. It was seized in order to protect the state of Israel against attacks that were being launched from there. (again, if I remember correctly. I was 18 then).

Israel controlled the Gaza Strip until 1994, finally turning it over to a Palestinian authority. And, again, attacks are being launched from there.

Did we learn anything here?

08 Jun 2010 05:36 #19 by TPP
Helen Thomas is retiring after her racist remarks, I don't care WHY?
The wicked leftist witch is gone, (she's been there since the Tuft administration), and that's what counts.

08 Jun 2010 07:47 #20 by Wayne Harrison
You never explained what was racist about her remarks. I don't recall her saying one race is better than another.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds