What Made 400 People Volunteer for a One-Way Mission to Mars

10 Jan 2011 16:28 #1 by Nmysys
To Boldly Go: What Made 400 People Volunteer for a One-Way Mission to Mars?

By Maxim Lott

Published January 10, 2011

| FoxNews.com

An interplanetary trip to Mars could take as little as 10 months, but returning would be virtually impossible -- making the voyage a form of self-imposed exile from Earth unlike anything else in human history.

What would inspire someone to volunteer? We've just found out.

A special edition of the Journal of Cosmology details exactly how a privately-funded, one-way mission to Mars could depart as soon as 20 years from now -- and it prompted more than 400 readers to volunteer as colonists.

"I've had a deep desire to explore the universe ever since I was a child and understood what a rocket was," Peter Greaves told FoxNews.com. Greaves is the father of three, and a jack-of-all-trades who started his own motorcycle dispatch company and fixes computers and engines on the side.

Read more: [url] http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/01/ ... z1Ag602h2a
[/url]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Jan 2011 18:27 #2 by major bean
Jose Jimanez (Bill Dana): "People of United State America, please don't let them do this to me."

Regards,
Major Bean

11 Jan 2011 06:48 #3 by Whatevergreen
What Made 400 People Volunteer for a One-Way Mission to Mars?

My guess is that their Internet Homepage got stuck on the 285Bound Courthouse and they just could not take the pathetic political sh*t that comes off the screen on a daily basis.
It is probably the people that have registered to this forum but never post.
You guys are an embarrassment to the corridor you know that?

11 Jan 2011 07:26 #4 by FredHayek
If I wasn't married I would go. Imagine being one of the first earthlings to set foot upon another planet.
I do think the ride would be super boring. Could I still have access to 285Bound and the internet?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

11 Jan 2011 07:55 #5 by lionshead2010

Whatevergreen wrote: What Made 400 People Volunteer for a One-Way Mission to Mars?

My guess is that their Internet Homepage got stuck on the 285Bound Courthouse and they just could not take the pathetic political sh*t that comes off the screen on a daily basis.
It is probably the people that have registered to this forum but never post.
You guys are an embarrassment to the corridor you know that?

Sorry to embarrass you. Does this mean your name is on the list heading for Mars? I hope so because the world could certainly do with one less self-righteous a--hole. rofllol

11 Jan 2011 08:20 #6 by Nmysys

11 Jan 2011 08:29 #7 by Fly on wall
Would flies survive on Mars? Hmm?

There are definitely a bunch of self righteous people in this country.

11 Jan 2011 08:46 #8 by Rick
I think it would be like volunteering to spend life in prison. Ever going to be able to breath outside air? Nope

I've been couped up with people in a confined area for months on a fishing boat...I wanted to throw some of them overboard after the second month.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

11 Jan 2011 10:19 #9 by FredHayek
Could we nominate people to go on a one way trip to Mars?
How about Nancy Pelosi, Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, James Carville, & Keith Olberman?

And if we put them all together, how long before they killed each other, were killed by the rest of the crew, or used up all the oxygen debating?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

11 Jan 2011 10:26 #10 by Nmysys
That's not called debating SS. It is preaching to the choir.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds