When do you think political divisiveness became really bad?

11 Jan 2011 17:13 #31 by Scruffy

Nmysys wrote:

There's a big difference between debating and throwing poop.

And your avatar is what, debating?

Sorry, I call them as I see them!!!

Think what you want, but my opinion that Palin is a liar is mine to hold. I'm not asking for civility here, Nmysys, just asking a question on when and how it got started.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jan 2011 17:15 #32 by PrintSmith

Scruffy wrote: With all the vitriol that has spewed forth in the past few days, I started to wonder when the political divide became so huge. It seems each election cycle brings forth new comments like "It's so ugly this election" or "I can't remember when the two sides were so angry at each other." So I thought I'd ask those on this board to reach back into their memories and recount when they first noticed it was really bad.

Thoughts?

Jefferson/Adams in 1800. It started out bad and has never gotten any better. You want to read vitriol? Read what the partisan papers of that day had to say about their own candidate and the opposition candidate. Today is tame in comparison.

11 Jan 2011 17:17 #33 by Scruffy

conifermtman wrote: Politics has always been ugly in this country. Lincoln once reduced a political adversary to tears in the Illinois state house. Duals used to be common as well. The civility the ploy the Dems are pushing is pure bullsh** they pull whenever they are losing power. When they are in complete power they don't allow Republicans to offer amendments in the House, however the Republicans do all Democrats to offer amendments when they are in power.

No doubt politics has always been ugly, but I take exception to your implied claim that Republicans were angels when they held the majority in Congress. My memory is that the Republicans would not allow democratic debate on bills, blocked Democrats from introducing bills, etc. In short, the Republicans acted exactly as you say the Dems did.

conifermtman wrote: When the libs claimed Bush stole the election is when it got ugliness increased. The fact that libs had controlled all of the media in prior years and now that control had been lost sent many libs to the loony bin. They could not handle new media and the fact that conservatives finally had a way to get their message out with blogs. The Internet has changed things because it is the great equalizer when it comes to getting all sides of a story out. Now that libs no longer control what news you are suppose to hear they are running scared and trying to throw up anything hoping it sticks. This past weekend was a prime example of that.

I agree that it escalated during the "stolen election" rhetoric, but it was bad before that. I disagree that the libs controlled the media. I think that is just your Republican colored glasses that you are looking through.

11 Jan 2011 17:48 #34 by Rick

Scruffy wrote:

conifermtman wrote: Politics has always been ugly in this country. Lincoln once reduced a political adversary to tears in the Illinois state house. Duals used to be common as well. The civility the ploy the Dems are pushing is pure bullsh** they pull whenever they are losing power. When they are in complete power they don't allow Republicans to offer amendments in the House, however the Republicans do all Democrats to offer amendments when they are in power.

No doubt politics has always been ugly, but I take exception to your implied claim that Republicans were angels when they held the majority in Congress. My memory is that the Republicans would not allow democratic debate on bills, blocked Democrats from introducing bills, etc. In short, the Republicans acted exactly as you say the Dems did.

conifermtman wrote: When the libs claimed Bush stole the election is when it got ugliness increased. The fact that libs had controlled all of the media in prior years and now that control had been lost sent many libs to the loony bin. They could not handle new media and the fact that conservatives finally had a way to get their message out with blogs. The Internet has changed things because it is the great equalizer when it comes to getting all sides of a story out. Now that libs no longer control what news you are suppose to hear they are running scared and trying to throw up anything hoping it sticks. This past weekend was a prime example of that.

I agree that it escalated during the "stolen election" rhetoric, but it was bad before that. I disagree that the libs controlled the media. I think that is just your Republican colored glasses that you are looking through.

And what color are your glasses Scruffy? No offense, but it's a silly question because we all know that the right will blame the left and the left will blame the right. We will NEVER agree on the big issues.

Doesn't your new avatar help create more divisiveness ?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

11 Jan 2011 18:04 #35 by Scruffy

CriticalBill wrote: And what color are your glasses Scruffy? No offense, but it's a silly question because we all know that the right will blame the left and the left will blame the right. We will NEVER agree on the big issues.

Doesn't your new avatar help create more divisiveness ?

I have already stated my opinion on this in the original post. It's been a back and forth escalation since at least 1988. For me, that is when civility in modern day politics left.

As far as my avatar, I am sure it does nothing to promote harmony, but that is not what I am asking in this thread. I'm not calling for civility here, as I am quite resigned to the fact that the left and right of 285 bound will never come together and a lot more poop, as well grade school name calling, is going to be thrown here.

17 Jan 2011 04:55 #36 by lionshead2010
I know he drives the Left crazy, but sometimes ole' Rush just CRACKS ME UP.

Why Dems Want Everyone to Sit Together at the State of the Union

Here's the real answer. And Snerdley was waving at me, and I was ignoring him 'cause, frankly, he's interrupted me too much today. He was waving at me when I was talking about this Udall effort to sit together. He said, "That's not what this is," he told me during the break. For the first time in years Republicans have a noticeable majority in the House chamber during a State of the Union, and what the Democrats want to do here is dilute it so that during obvious Republican stand up lines it's not apparent how many Republicans there are, if they're all sprinkled out among the Democrats. So Snerdley is suggesting that the Republicans not fall for this. Go ahead and you occupy your side of the aisle, let the Democrats occupy theirs, and let's see how few Democrats there are in there anymore. And I have to say that I agree with that. Good catch, Snerdley. Good catch, right alongside my logical conclusion to go hand in hand. It's a sad thing. Look at what one disaster they think is perhaps going to cause what bliss.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/ ... guest.html

Even a lefty would have to chuckle a little at this....I bet you did, you caught yourself and forced a frown...but just for a moment you chuckled. rofllol :lol: rofllol :lol:

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds