When do you think political divisiveness became really bad?

11 Jan 2011 16:27 #21 by Nmysys
Seems pretty disingenuous considering that you have always been one of the most prolific at dishing this divisiveness out, considering your avatar. All of a sudden you are serious!!! This isn't easy to compute!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jan 2011 16:27 #22 by Scruffy

Grady wrote:

Satchmo wrote: Am I the only one who remembers the Nixon-Kennedy campaign? The pope would take over the US if Kennedy was elected. All kinds of dung about Catholicism.

I remember, Not that the pope would “take over” but that because Kennedy was Catholic he would be subservient to the pope and thus do as the church wanted and not necessarily what was best for America. Also that he might spill government secrets during confession.

Seems pretty silly in retrospect.

But I do believe the current ramped up diverseness started with the left’s hatred of GW, and the “selected not elected”, “he’s not my president”, “somewhere in Texas a village lost it’s idiot” and on and on.

Thanks for the serious response. As I stated, I think it started even before the Clinton impeachment and the countless investigations into his administration. I think the Gingrich - Clinton fight widened the divide.

11 Jan 2011 16:29 #23 by Scruffy

Nmysys wrote: Seems pretty disingenuous considering that you have always been one of the most prolific at dishing this divisiveness out, considering your avatar. All of a sudden you are serious!!! This isn't easy to compute!

I call them as I see them, and try not to belittle others with grade school name calling. There's a big difference between debating and throwing poop.

11 Jan 2011 16:34 #24 by Grady

Scruffy wrote:

Grady wrote:

Satchmo wrote: Am I the only one who remembers the Nixon-Kennedy campaign? The pope would take over the US if Kennedy was elected. All kinds of dung about Catholicism.

I remember, Not that the pope would “take over” but that because Kennedy was Catholic he would be subservient to the pope and thus do as the church wanted and not necessarily what was best for America. Also that he might spill government secrets during confession.

Seems pretty silly in retrospect.

But I do believe the current ramped up diverseness started with the left’s hatred of GW, and the “selected not elected”, “he’s not my president”, “somewhere in Texas a village lost it’s idiot” and on and on.

Thanks for the serious response. As I stated, I think it started even before the Clinton impeachment and the countless investigations into his administration. I think the Gingrich - Clinton fight widened the divide.

Hilary’s calling the investigations a “vast right wing conspiracy” certainly helped up the ante.

11 Jan 2011 16:40 #25 by Travelingirl
I think lines were drawn in the sand with the abortion issue and it took off from there. That's where I really remember two very divided groups of Americans.

11 Jan 2011 16:41 #26 by Scruffy

travelingirl wrote: I think lines were drawn in the sand with the abortion issue and it took off from there. That's where I really remember two very divided groups of Americans.

I hadn't thought of that. Interesting - it could be the flash point.

11 Jan 2011 16:44 #27 by Nmysys

There's a big difference between debating and throwing poop.

And your avatar is what, debating?

Sorry, I call them as I see them!!!

11 Jan 2011 16:51 #28 by conifermtman
Politics has always been ugly in this country. Lincoln once reduced a political adversary to tears in the Illinois state house. Duals used to be common as well. The civility the ploy the Dems are pushing is pure bullsh** they pull whenever they are losing power. When they are in complete power they don't allow Republicans to offer amendments in the House, however the Republicans do all Democrats to offer amendments when they are in power.

When the libs claimed Bush stole the election is when it got ugliness increased. The fact that libs had controlled all of the media in prior years and now that control had been lost sent many libs to the loony bin. They could not handle new media and the fact that conservatives finally had a way to get their message out with blogs. The Internet has changed things because it is the great equalizer when it comes to getting all sides of a story out. Now that libs no longer control what news you are suppose to hear they are running scared and trying to throw up anything hoping it sticks. This past weekend was a prime example of that.

11 Jan 2011 16:57 #29 by Nmysys
As I said, disingenuous! Poor Scruffy just a little too transparent!

11 Jan 2011 17:07 #30 by Travelingirl
For me the abortion issue is what really defined the two parties in ways I had never really considered. I was fairly young when the big debates started. It solidified my views on all kinds of issues so it may not be a historical start for some, but for me personally, that's where it started. I wish it could be decided by the states but I also wish I was allergic to chocolate.

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds