How Giffords Survived

12 Jan 2011 11:01 #1 by ScienceChic
Thought this was interesting info to share. Knowing proper first aid to give can be crucial. If you haven't had a first aid class in a while, I'd highly recommend it, and see if there's one that includes use of an external defibrillator too.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... t-survival
A Key Series of Events Helped Giffords Survive a Gunshot Wound to the Head
The nature of the congresswoman's injury and prompt emergency care kept her alive
By Mike Orcutt | January 10, 2011

The bullet, reportedly fired from a 9 mm semi-automatic handgun, entered the left side of the back of her head and traveled through her brain, exiting through her forehead. This “through and through” course indicates that the bullet was probably not of the variety designed to expand or break into smaller fragments once inside the body, which would have caused a much more severe injury.

As the projectile moved forward, it remained in the left hemisphere, avoiding crossing through the middle to the other side, which, according to Black, could have caused catastrophic injury. The bullet’s trajectory was also high enough to apparently avoid certain crucial structures on the left side of the brain, including areas responsible for language processing—a notion reinforced by reports that the Congresswoman has been responsive to commands.

Immediately following the injury, it was not only the quality but also the speed of the care Giffords received that probably saved her life. “As we say in neurosurgery,” says Black, “time is brain.” Crucially, one of Giffords’ aides positioned her so that blood did not impede her breathing. Subsequent transport to the Level 1 trauma center at Tuscon’s University Medical Center, and the care given once she arrived, was very rapid. Reportedly, only 38 minutes transpired between the time she was injured and when she entered surgery.

Brain injuries are complex, and it is too early to know definitively the extent to which Giffords will ultimately be set back, or if she can make a full recovery.

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110111/ ... 011.9.html
Anatomy of a brain injury
The bullet that sheared through US politician Gabrielle Giffords's brain set up a cascade of neurological events.
Published online 11 January 2011 | Nature | doi:10.1038/news.2011.9

A bullet first destroys tissue that lies in its path, which for Giffords was on the left side of the brain. But it also damages neurons that don't lie directly in its path, because it is trailed by a pressure wave that transfers the energy of the bullet into the surrounding brain tissue.

This pressure wave activates all the neurons through which it passes. The neurons then attempt to restore their resting electrochemical balance by absorbing water, resulting in brain swelling. The restoration also takes an enormous amount of energy — more than the injured brain can provide — and so creates an 'energy crisis', or energy deficit in the brain.

Giffords's doctors are addressing these complications by removing a portion of her skull to relieve the pressure of her swelling brain, and by inducing a medical coma to reduce the brain's energy demands.

Some of the recovery is attributable to rewiring of the brain. Neurons that did not die during the injury sprout new connections, attempting to regain their functions and take over functions that may have been lost by neurons that did die. Patients also learn to compensate for lost abilities — for instance, by brushing their teeth with their left hands if they can no longer do so with their right. However, Giffords faces a special challenge because she is a woman. "Women tend to have a more protracted and less complete recovery than men, for reasons that nobody clearly understands," says O'Shanick.

Here's hoping and praying for the best for her!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Jan 2011 11:22 #2 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic How Giffords Survived
And sometimes expanding or hollowpoint bullets don't expand for a variety of reasons. I think the perp was using hollowpoints but the first bullet failed to expand properly. Luckily for Gabbie.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

12 Jan 2011 11:42 #3 by AV8OR
Replied by AV8OR on topic How Giffords Survived
Perhaps, she had a Higher Authority looking over?

12 Jan 2011 12:10 #4 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic How Giffords Survived
Hard to say SS109. I suppose expansion failure could be the result of the high velocity found so close to the barrel, but you would think at least partial deformation of the round would have occurred if it was meant to expand like the HP rounds are. I would tend to lean towards the bullets being FMJ if for no other reason than their being less expensive and usually in greater supply at the stores where ammunition is sold given what SC posted about the wound that was sustained by Congresswoman Giffords.

12 Jan 2011 12:14 #5 by Whatevergreen
Replied by Whatevergreen on topic How Giffords Survived

AV8OR wrote: Perhaps, she had a Higher Authority looking over?

I don't think Obama had anything to do with her survival. How can implicate him in something like....

Ohhhh, that higher authority.

My bad. :bash

12 Jan 2011 12:17 #6 by Scruffy
Replied by Scruffy on topic How Giffords Survived

If so, why did the higher authority allow it to happen in the first place?

12 Jan 2011 13:39 #7 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic How Giffords Survived
Scruffy, those on the Left are missing a huge opportunity, if you believed in a higher power you would have the ultimate fall guy for everything wrong in your opinions.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

12 Jan 2011 13:45 #8 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic How Giffords Survived
I could be wrong about bullet type, and it is very true, non-expanding Full Metal Jacket rounds are less expensive and much more popular.

BTW, depending on what it hits FMJ can expand too plus sometimes the thin copper jacket can detach, unwind and makes its own nastier wound channel.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

12 Jan 2011 14:08 #9 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic How Giffords Survived

Scruffy wrote:

If so, why did the higher authority allow it to happen in the first place?

I dunno Scruffy - perhaps it's like my mom tossing her arm out in front of me when I was sitting in the front seat of the car when there was a possibility she was going to hit someone. Nothing much could be done about avoiding what was coming, but doing what she could to protect me and minimize any injury I might sustain.

Neither this government, nor God, control the actions of an individual Scruffy. That is what individual freedoms guarantee, and what free will predestines. Divine Providence is something that I believe exists, and I have a recent example of it in my life that I'd like to share with you.

Last week, I noticed that the right rear tire on the car was a little low and, as I had been meaning to get the tires rotated anyway, I stopped off last Wednesday to have the tire repaired. Well, the object that punctured the tire had punctured it in a non-repairable area, so the tire had to be replaced, but that store didn't have the tire in stock, so they sent me over to a sister store that did have it.

I had purchased the road hazard coverage, so the tire was going to be replaced at no cost to me, however, the other 3 tires only had about 25% of the tread left, and I really didn't want that difference in circumference to put additional strain on the transaxle of my Jetta, which has about 280K miles on the odometer, so the guy and I talked it out and I ended up deciding to replace all 4 tires at what I felt was a reasonable price.

While sitting in the waiting area, I decided to pick up the Denver Post. I normally don't read the paper and I usually only read the front section when I do read it, but that section was being read by someone else who was waiting, so I picked up the second section and started reading it. I came to the obituaries and thought to myself, what are the chances I'll know anyone in here and started looking down the names. I found the name of the father of my best friend from childhood, the first friend I ever had in life. We'd lost touch over the years, hadn't seen in other or talked in at least a decade, but old friends are the best friends and I made plans to attend the funeral which was to be held that Friday in the church we had both attended as children.

I showed up about 10 minutes before the start of the funeral, to pay my last respects at the open casket, and came face to face with my friend. His eyes lit up and he said to me, "I knew you would be here. I just knew you would. I know I should be surprised that you are because no one knew how to get hold of you to tell you about Dad, but I'm not. I knew you would be here."

Now, you can call it coincidence, or luck or a number of other things, but I know, as surely as I know the sun will rise each morning, that it was Divine Providence that allowed me to know that my best friend from childhood was expecting me and that I was needed that day to help him.

12 Jan 2011 15:58 #10 by pineinthegrass
It looks like he got the bullets at a Walmart (after being turned down at a different Walmart) hours before the shooting. I'm guessing Walmart doesn't sell the hollow point bullets?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703779704576074080255720732.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

He was also stopped by a traffic cop after running a red light, but the officer let him off.

Not that it matters, but I read that the bullet didn't actually enter the back of the head as the first article states. That's what the doctors thought at first, but they later decided it entered from the front.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds