Breed Specific Legislation?

14 Jan 2011 15:05 #1 by FredHayek
Do you think it is right to ban certain breeds from cities and/or rental homes?

I don't like it, especially when you see city councils passing laws that ban certain breeds based on a few cases. Doggie racism in my eyes, especially when the breeds mentioned are seldom purebred.

BTW, I don't won pitbulls but do own German Shepherd mixes that often have a bad reputation but cities don't pass laws against them

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jan 2011 16:20 #2 by HEARTLESS
These are the epitome of stupid useless laws. All the "bad" breeds I've ran across were big babies because of how they were raised.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

14 Jan 2011 17:29 #3 by major bean
Breed specific laws are good. Dogs have been successfully bred selectively for viciousness for quite a while. The prohibitive laws recognize this and merely try to protect the citizens.

Why not get a Lab?

Regards,
Major Bean

15 Jan 2011 05:50 #4 by HEARTLESS
So mb, do the police carry dna kits to identify these offensive breeds? What percent of the offensive breed is illegal since many dogs are mixed breeds? Or will we opt for "flash cards" or even cheaper is a vague description of characteristics? And I already own and have owned Labs.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

15 Jan 2011 07:38 #5 by FredHayek
I met a street pit bull like dog in Mexico a couple weeks ago and he was just so cool. Sad to think Denver would euthanize him just because of his genes.

MB,
Certain nationalities have a much higher murder rate, would you deny them entry to the US?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

15 Jan 2011 11:23 #6 by major bean
Another person's life is not worth "profiling" with a reputed tough breed. And that is why drug users and dealers want those breeds; to put forth a tough guy image.

Regards,
Major Bean

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds