Virginia Proposes Illegal Student Records Keeping

21 Jan 2011 17:35 #1 by Nmysys
As Virginia moves to ban illegal immigrants from enrolling in colleges, one local lawmaker is proposing a bill at the state level that would require schools to report the tally of illegal immigrant students to the state secretary of education.

Todd Gilbert, a member of the Virginia House of Delegates, said under his bill illegal immigrant students will retain the right to receive a public school education but that Virginia taxpayers have a right to know how much the country's "broken immigration system” is costing them.

Critics say the bill will scare kids away from school and could be unconstitutional. But it is among a string of anti-illegal immigration bills in a legislative package that includes proposals to keep illegal immigrants from finding work in the state of Virginia and bar them from enrolling in state public colleges and universities or receiving any form of public assistance.

The Virginia House of Delegates Republican Majority Caucus on Tuesday announced the legislative package, which includes at least 16 pieces of immigration-related legislation.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/20/virginia-require-schools-tabs-cost-illegal-students/#ixzz1Biflwlc2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jan 2011 19:52 #2 by ShilohLady

Nmysys wrote: ... string of anti-illegal immigration bills in a legislative package that includes proposals to keep illegal immigrants from finding work in the state of Virginia and bar them from enrolling in state public colleges and universities or receiving any form of public assistance.

The Virginia House of Delegates Republican Majority Caucus on Tuesday announced the legislative package, which includes at least 16 pieces of immigration-related legislation.

I thought it already WAS illegal for ILLEGAL immigrants to find work! And, they shouldn't be eligible for public assistance either.

21 Jan 2011 22:03 #3 by Local_Historian
They aren't eligible.

And how are schools going to know legal status of the parents anyway? It's not like it's on the child's birth certificate, which is what you need to register them for public schools - and if the birth certificate says they were born in the states, the kids aren't illegals. And since they aren't illegal, they are just as eligible for college and financial aid as any of our kids.

21 Jan 2011 22:10 #4 by Beeks
But if the birth certificate shows they were born outside of the U.S., they are illegal. I believe that's the target, not so much the "anchor babies"

21 Jan 2011 22:17 #5 by Local_Historian
Agreed - but I'm betting there are not as many of those as the media would like us to believe. I think it is most often the case that the parents are illegal, but the kids are not.

21 Jan 2011 22:21 - 21 Jan 2011 22:41 #6 by archer
If we don't educate illegals....and we don't have the means to send them all home....then what do we get? Uneducated illegals who have little to fall back on except crime and gangs. yeah, that's going to make the US a better place.

21 Jan 2011 22:34 #7 by Beeks
If you do provide a free education, and now perhaps in-state college tuition rates, don't you simply encourage even more illegal immigration? I'm truly torn on the issue. Illegal is illegal, but there's no way that you're going to send all of them back. Further, I'm afraid of the effect on the economy if that could be accomplished. Amnesty? A reward for breaking the law. It's easy to come up with sound bites on both sides of the issue, but there's nothing simple about it...

21 Jan 2011 22:48 #8 by archer
agree beeks...it's a lose-lose situation. No where is that more obvious than here in Arizona. This state is going bankrupt....the laws against illegals are probably stronger here than anywhere, but it doesn't solve the problem, in many cases those laws are making the problem worse. We have an awful lot of illegals here....they are finding it hard to find any work, so they live on the streets and overcrowded tenements.....they do turn to crime and gangs, but they don't go home to Mexico. I guess it is even worse there. If we think by making life impossible for them here with no jobs and no social services that they will return to Mexico.....we are deluding ourselves. We are just increasing the crime and gang rates, and the rates of homeless on the streets.
It's a mess...pure and simple.

22 Jan 2011 05:49 #9 by outdoor338
sure its a mess, but we can't afford to have them here, no matter what people think!

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds