National Driver's License Nazi/Communist Style

25 Jan 2011 17:36 #11 by Nmysys
Control of the citizenry as per Orwell's 1984. The only assumption I can make RockDoc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Jan 2011 17:48 #12 by Rockdoc

Nmysys wrote: Control of the citizenry as per Orwell's 1984. The only assumption I can make RockDoc

Wait. Aren't we forgetting to look at one thing? Who is going to profit from this? Certainly someone will be in the business to make money off such an offering? Expanded government on state and federal level? Perhaps it is another form of taxation we can envision?

25 Jan 2011 18:08 #13 by archer

Rockdoc Franz wrote: What I do not understand is why would you need such a DL if you travel out of the country? Don't we halve passports for that? If there is such a huge concern, why not link a DL to a passport? If this is supposed to help with illegal immigrants getting DL, you could make a passport requirement couldn't you?

Not everyone has a passport......they are certainly not required, and many just can't afford one, they don't come cheap. That shouldn't keep someone from getting a drivers license.

25 Jan 2011 20:07 #14 by Rockdoc

archer wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote: What I do not understand is why would you need such a DL if you travel out of the country? Don't we halve passports for that? If there is such a huge concern, why not link a DL to a passport? If this is supposed to help with illegal immigrants getting DL, you could make a passport requirement couldn't you?

Not everyone has a passport......they are certainly not required, and many just can't afford one, they don't come cheap. That shouldn't keep someone from getting a drivers license.

That is true. One might ask, why is a passport so expensive and what will be the cost of the new DL? I would expect that if it comes into affect, it will be a great opportunity to tack on some new charges to maintain a sure to evolve bureaucracy.

I suppose my unasked question is why do we need to come up with yet another form of Federal identification when we already have SS#, and some of us Passport #? Instead of expanding, why is it not possible to consolidate? Why is it not possible to use passports by making them financially more viable options? Would that not solve the travel issue, since it was mentioned as a justification for the DL or for that matter getting identification such as SS cards and Dl into the hands of illegal immigrants? It takes considerable effort to get a passport. Is it going to take the same for a DL? If so (other than the driving privilege granted) what is the significance.

And why I think about it. Does a DL really come cheaply?

The argument that a passport is not required is weak. The new DL is not required, but will be through congressional action. The same could be argued for a passport and then you do have something that can be used elsewhere in the world, not just the US. Let's face it. More and more people travel out of the country all the time and nowhere can you go anymore without a passport.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds