Filibuster Reform?

28 Jan 2011 12:17 #1 by FredHayek
Filibuster Reform? was created by FredHayek
Looks like the Dems want to change things to make it easier for the Senate to pass stuff without getting the 60 votes to avoid a filibuster. I think the Dems may regret this. If the Republicans win the White House in 2012 and the GOP wins a few more Senate seats, they would have the majority and be able to easily pass their agenda.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Jan 2011 12:36 #2 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic Filibuster Reform?
I think the nation would regret it as well. At least now the progressives have to have a 60 seat majority before they can continue to dismantle our Constitution. Lord help us all if they are ever able to cram legislation like Obamacare down our throats with only a simple majority instead of needing a 3/5 majority. Can you imagine the damage that could be done then? Clinton's cabal would have been able to institute HillaryCare back in 1992. Bad enough that every single time they get the 3/5 majority we end up with some new experiment into social welfare. Social Security, Medicare, Great Society and now Obamacare. Without the filibuster to slow them down, what's left of the Constitution after the last 3 times would have been shredded by them long before now.

28 Jan 2011 13:02 #3 by conifermtman
Replied by conifermtman on topic Filibuster Reform?
They should go ahead and do it. It will come back to bite them in the ass. Besides its not like the House couldn't stop them.

28 Jan 2011 13:49 #4 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic Filibuster Reform?
I disagree CMM. The filibuster is one of the checks and balances that prevent the tyranny of the majority, whichever party happens to be the majority at any given time. If you think for a New York Minute that the Republicans would be any less tyrannical without that restraint you are only fooling yourself.

FWIW, I am glad to see the anonymous hold disappear while the filibuster appears set to be retained. I was not ever a fan of the anonymous hold, it put too much power in the hands of a single Senator.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds