The Ugly Truth About Middle East Populism-Opinion

02 Feb 2011 13:39 #2 by archer
And what would you have the US do other than what we are already doing? Invade Egypt on a "what if" scenario?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Feb 2011 13:45 #3 by Nmysys
I post things I find of interest. If I have an opinion as to a solution, I post that as well.

02 Feb 2011 15:59 #4 by Photo-fish
More indirect misinformation. Mohammed Ghanem is hardly a top member of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood. He IS a representative of the Muslim Brotherhood in the UK. Also his comment about "The people should be prepared for war against Israel." is out of context.

I am getting the feeling that the alarmists who ask us to fear the Muslim Brotherhoo­d are in fact more frightened that some oppressive­, theocratic regime won't replace Mubarak. By having a secular democratic government take hold, or at least a moderate Muslim, democratic government­, the alarmists will find it harder to disparage Arabs and Muslims as unreasonab­le, extremist, untrustwor­thy, and dangerous.

Both the US and Israel need to truly support pro democracy movements in the Mideast rather than always accuse them of being fronts for religious movements favoring theocracy. And yes, that might mean that the oil companies and arms industry will make less money. :Crying:

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

02 Feb 2011 16:42 #5 by Photo-fish

Nmysys wrote: I post things I find of interest. If I have an opinion as to a solution, I post that as well.

From the title of this thread, it appeared that you had an opinion, but you are just echoing somebody elses. Do you agree with that opinion or not?

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

02 Feb 2011 17:19 #6 by outdoor338
Photo might be some good reading for you..

Muslim Brotherhood Demands Jordan’s New Prime Minister Resign

The size of the demonstration was less significant than the fact that it happened at all. To realize that, you need to understand the only opposition group that ever had the ability to organize in Jordan was the Muslim Brotherhood. (They also use the name Islamic Action Front. Don’t get confused. Everything has multiple names in the Middle East.) They had the ability to organize because they are a religious organization and they operated through the mosques. This demonstration was partnered with the Unity Party, a small new secular organization. At the end of the demonstration, I was approached by a young man from the Student Democratic Movement. Prior to the recent Arab uprisings, secular opposition groups were banned. They are now forming. The question is whether they are forming quickly enough to get moderate modern people into positions where they can make a difference during these upheavals. Or will the upheavals creat power vacuums that, once again, are filled by Islamic radicals.

http://www.foxnewsinsider.com/2011/02/0 ... er-resign/

02 Feb 2011 17:40 #7 by Nmysys
Photo:

You try very hard to paint us as haters of all things Islamic. The fact is that many times we ( I ) have stated that if the Muslims were to stand up against the Extremists decrying what they stand for and what they do, I, for one would not be an Islamophobe. The problem is that Social Liberals like yourself call us Racists. We are realists. I don't get my opinions from you or other Liberals. I get my opinions of the Arab world from the middle East. I get my information from Israel, and you know why. I am a strong supporter of Israel as an ally and as the home of the Jewish people, as well as the Religious center for Christianity and the Muslim world, all in Jerusalem.

You asked me for my opinion. My opinion is: That the Muslim Brotherhood is just another arm of Radical Islam like Hamas, Hezbollah, Al Quaeda and others and they are a danger to the Western World and to Israel. Just because you and others of the Liberal mindset says it is nothing but alarmist ravings doesn't make it any less dangerous to Israel or the rest of the Western World.

02 Feb 2011 17:48 #8 by major bean
I don't know that Photo-fish is a social liberal. It seems that he considers each issue on its merits and comes down where he thinks that the merit most justifies. He bonces back and forth from the median of right and left.

Regards,
Major Bean

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds