Liberals Organize Against Issa

18 Feb 2011 21:48 #11 by Blazer Bob

archer wrote:

neptunechimney wrote: and yes, both sides do it.

but that doesn't make it right...

No, did someone say it did? I was just saving you from having to make the obligatory, they do it too post.

Your welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Feb 2011 22:14 #12 by archer

neptunechimney wrote:

archer wrote:

No, did someone say it did? I was just saving you from having to make the obligatory, they do it too post.

Your welcome.

ok....thanks :thumbsup:

ya gotta admit though that there are some here that think that if both sides do it then it must be ok to do it. I personally would like to see ALL corporate interests removed from our government......that they be forbidden to make campaign contributions to any elected official or candidate for office. Lets leave US politics to the people of this country, not to the corporations.

19 Feb 2011 09:01 #13 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Liberals Organize Against Issa

archer wrote:

neptunechimney wrote:

archer wrote:

Your welcome.

ok....thanks :thumbsup:

ya gotta admit though that there are some here that think that if both sides do it then it must be ok to do it. I personally would like to see ALL corporate interests removed from our government......that they be forbidden to make campaign contributions to any elected official or candidate for office. Lets leave US politics to the people of this country, not to the corporations.

Would you also include billionaires like Soros? Trial lawyers? Hollywood numbnuts? Unions?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

19 Feb 2011 09:39 #14 by LadyJazzer
I'll see your George Soros, and raise you: Charles & David Koch, Trevor Rees-Jones, Harold Simmons, Robert Rowling, Sheldon Adelson, Carl Lindner, George Argyros, Stanley Stub Hubbard, Peter Thiel, Richard T. 'Dick' Farmer, and Roger Milliken

19 Feb 2011 10:26 #15 by PrintSmith

Science Chic wrote: Afraid of, doubtful. Thinking he's pandering to corporate interests to our detriment, yes.

http://www.alternet.org/economy/149433/ ... egulation_
Who Needs Lobbyists? Darrell Issa Asks GOP's Corporate Masters for a Wish-List of Deregulation
Issa wants to hand the government over to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and a who's who of corporate America.
January 6, 2011

Newly emboldened as chair of the House's key investigative committee, Congressman Darrell Issa, a conservative California Republican, this week sent letters to more than 150 business lobby groups, asking them to identify government rules that they want eliminated

Issa wants to hand the government over to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and a who's who of corporate America. The new Republican Congress is their opportunity to get rid of those pesky environmental laws, consumer product safety laws, and even rules to prevent another Wall Street financial train wreck.

Issa plans to hold hearings of his Oversight and Government Reform Committee to explore how he can help corporate America rid itself of "burdensome government regulations." According to Politico, dyn.politico.com/members/forums/thread.c...d=1&threadid=4914087 Issa asked businesses, including Duke Energy, FMC Corp., Toyota and Bayer, to supply him with their wish lists. He also sent letters to industry lobby groups including the American Petroleum Institute, National Association of Manufacturers (NAM), the Association of American Railroads, the National Petrochemical & Refiners Association (NPRA) and entities representing health care and telecommunication providers.

Let's go back in time and see what corporate leaders have predicted about proposed government rules seeking to make business more socially responsible: (see article for list)

Issa is only the latest corporate lackey to practice crony capitalism. What's needed is a different version -- responsible capitalism -- that recognizes the balance between business profits and the public interest.

And this is what happens when you attempt to substitute partisan opinion articles put out by special interest groups for fact based ones that give information instead of partisan opinions.

IIRC SC, the President said that he was willing to look at getting rid of burdensome regulations that harmed businesses and made their lives unnecessarily difficult in complying with federal regulations. Who would know better which regulations fit this description than the businesses themselves? If you are looking for a list of regulations to get rid of, do you think the politicians are the ones who should be examining the entire list of existing regulations looking for what to trim, or do you think that a list from the business of which ones to look at would help focus the search and reduce the time spent looking for the regulations that could be reasonably and safely eliminated. What I see Issa doing is precisely how, logically, the task should be started. Asking for a big list and choosing from that large list debating the pros and cons of eliminating each of them with the end result of having a smaller list of regulations that could possibly find bipartisan support for being eliminated.

If you feel that this is an improper way to identify regulations that could be eliminated along the lines of what the President has indicated he is willing to consider, how would you start your search to identify existing regulations that could be safely eliminated if you were tasked with the job?

19 Feb 2011 10:29 #16 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Liberals Organize Against Issa

LadyJazzer wrote: I'll see your George Soros, and raise you: Charles & David Koch, Trevor Rees-Jones, Harold Simmons, Robert Rowling, Sheldon Adelson, Carl Lindner, George Argyros, Stanley Stub Hubbard, Peter Thiel, Richard T. 'Dick' Farmer, and Roger Milliken

I was asking archer a question...and I could make a big liberal list too. Thanks for playing!

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

19 Feb 2011 10:38 #17 by LadyJazzer
You're welcome... Always glad to help out with facts. But since Soros is always the big "boogie-man", I thought we could expand the list.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds