Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

23 Feb 2011 16:59 #1 by Nmysys
The Supreme Court is The Only Authority To Determine the Constitutionality of a Law. That power resides in the Judicial Branch of Government, not in the Executive Branch of Government.

Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

Published February 23, 2011

| FoxNews.com

The Obama administration announced Wednesday that it will no longer defend the federal law that defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

The decision marks a significant about-face for the Obama Justice Department, which until now had defended the law in court despite President Obama's misgivings with the policy. The administration's attorneys as recently as last month had filed a court motion in support of the Defense of Marriage Act, which effectively bans recognition of same-sex marriage.

But after two new lawsuits were filed in New York and Connecticut, Obama ordered Attorney General Eric Holder not to defend the statute

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/23/obama-administration-drops-defense-anti-gay-marriage-law/#ixzz1EpUdhIE7

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Feb 2011 17:28 #2 by Something the Dog Said
So under what provision of the Constitution grants the power to the federal government to legislate the elements of marriage?

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

23 Feb 2011 17:33 #3 by Nmysys
None!!!!!!!!

The point is that the Obama Administration has now declared the law Unconstitutional!!!! Maybe you should read the article first, just saying!!!!

:bash

23 Feb 2011 18:12 #4 by archer
it probably is unconstitutional

:thumbsup:

23 Feb 2011 19:31 #5 by navycpo7
I am just wondering, with all the problems in this country, why are we worried or even care, about who marries who. If it does not impact you or effect you (which it does not) who the hell cares. I really do not care who marries who, that is the individuals choice. More important things to worry about.

23 Feb 2011 20:35 #6 by major bean
"Marriage" grants no advantage over private contract. So let the homos create private contracts to ensure property inheritance, power of attorney, etc.
But if we permit marriage, then we condone such arrangements. This is the evil.

Please explain the advantages of marriage compared to private contracts.

Regards,
Major Bean

23 Feb 2011 20:47 #7 by archer
If marriage wasn't special then straight couples would go for private contracts...but they don't. They want the commitment and emotional bond of marriage, and so do gays.

23 Feb 2011 22:54 #8 by FredHayek
Side note: Do you think Obama always supported the marriage of homosexuals but lied about it to get elected? Personally I think he did. I do support gay marriage myself but dislike liars.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

24 Feb 2011 04:51 #9 by LadyJazzer

SS109 wrote: Side note: Do you think Obama always supported the marriage of homosexuals but lied about it to get elected? Personally I think he did. I do support gay marriage myself but dislike liars.

Wow, I bet you must be pretty P.O.'d about the FACT that over 4,000 soldiers have been killed because of the lies about WMD's; and Reagan's lies about "arms for hostages" and the Iran/Contra scandal; and Nixon's lies about the Watergate break-in and coverup, ad nauseum.........

Yeah, I kind of dislike liars myself. Too bad it seems to be in BOTH parties...

24 Feb 2011 07:05 #10 by FredHayek
It could also be that Obama is privately against gay marriage but just doing this to appeal to his base of homosexual and liberal voters. Barack can be hard to read.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds