$15 of taxes on my $35 phone bill. Dirty little secret...

09 Mar 2011 13:04 #11 by Local_Historian
See, this is why I like a pay for minutes phone. I get taxed a sales tax when I buy minutes, and that's it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Mar 2011 14:12 - 09 Mar 2011 14:14 #12 by major bean
Here is tidbit: sales taxes are an obligation on the company or business doing the sale. It is not a purchase tax. The purchaser is merely charged by the company to cover the tax. We have foolishly sort of informally agreed that the purchaser is responsible for the tax because the seller gives his item price and them shows the tax that is added. We really need to stop this custom.

If the phone company has advertised service for $35 then they should be taken to court and made to honor this price. The phone company is responsible for the tax, not the customer. They should have included the tax in the advertised price.

Regards,
Major Bean

09 Mar 2011 14:14 #13 by Local_Historian
Good point. When I do shows, I set a price and don't dicker about with the sales tax. That's my problem to figure out later. It truly helps with sales. That, and round numbers.

09 Mar 2011 14:15 #14 by navycpo7

CinnamonGirl wrote: 285bound.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8451

This was a post about percentages on cell phones. Highest average was 23.69%

Qwest use to have a distance charge, that went away and then some of these other charges were put on there to cover that.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds