Outdoor Lab on the chopping block

12 Mar 2011 22:21 #11 by FredHayek
I wonder if this is a statue of liberty play. Threaten to cut popular programs instead of something that would generate more money like freezing principal's pay for a couple years. Some of those principals and vice principals make very good money and benefits.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Mar 2011 23:01 #12 by Residenttroll returns
Cut Cut Cut! We need deep and wide cuts ....or more user fees.

Everything should be cut.....Jefferson County educates one child with almost $ 12,000 per year.

Bigger class room sizes...yeah! There has never been a study to prove smaller class sizes equate to better performance....in fact, if that was true...why do colleges have lecture halls?

Small class room size equates to more union teachers....which equates to anyone can be a teacher...provided they pay dues.

13 Mar 2011 08:05 #13 by kresspin
Outdoor Lab is an extravagance. We're surrounded by National Forest. If you want your kid to have an outdoor experience, take them camping or have them join the Scouts.

Keeping Outdoor Lab around for 5th and 6th grades to experience a week in the forest is just plain dumb.

When it comes time to cut the budget, Outdoor Lab should be one of the first things to go.

13 Mar 2011 08:36 #14 by 2wlady
I don't know what the curriculum is for Outdoor Lab. Do you? If not, how can you be against it until you know? And if you know. how about posting it for poor saps like me who are interested in it.

13 Mar 2011 09:35 #15 by Nobody that matters

2wlady wrote: I don't know what the curriculum is for Outdoor Lab. Do you? If not, how can you be against it until you know? And if you know. how about posting it for poor saps like me who are interested in it.

My son attended this year. The curriculum was along the lines of forestry, wildlife, astronomy, geology...

All the stuff you can learn in scouts if you'd care to join. My boy was a little bored because it was just a review for him. It was a good program, but it was an extravagance.

My younger son is studying that stuff right now in Cub Scouts.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

13 Mar 2011 10:26 #16 by major bean
The quality of such a program depends entirely upon the instructor and his ability to engage the students with the subject matter. Here is where you really need a teacher who can teach. Without that, it is a waste of time.

Regards,
Major Bean

13 Mar 2011 10:37 #17 by Rick

major bean wrote: The quality of such a program depends entirely upon the instructor and his ability to engage the students with the subject matter. Here is where you really need a teacher who can teach. Without that, it is a waste of time.

Thats true...I remember most of the "adults" were just high school seniors....it was more like just camping out in cabins, making sand candles and various craft projects. I don't remember learning much but that was the mid 70s.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

13 Mar 2011 10:39 - 13 Mar 2011 10:41 #18 by Photo-fish
From Evergreen Trout Unlimited newsletter
March 2011
Tuesdays, Wednesdays and/or Thursdays: Mt Evans Outdoor Lab
Assist with teaching entomology, fishing, and fly tying to students
Schedule varies - ongoing program
Volunteer schedule is very flexible - help with one class or many!
9:30am to noon
Contact Jim Wilborn . or 303-670-3306

http://www.evergreentrout.org/Newsletters/ETU_February_2011.pdf

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

13 Mar 2011 10:41 #19 by daisypusher

SS109 wrote: I wonder if this is a statue of liberty play. Threaten to cut popular programs instead of something that would generate more money like freezing principal's pay for a couple years. Some of those principals and vice principals make very good money and benefits.

:yeahthat:

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds