Outdoor Lab on the chopping block

12 Mar 2011 07:45 #1 by HappyCamper
I was sad to hear that Outdoor Lab was one of the items on the chopping block.

Outdoor lab is one of the things I still remember, I still have many of my drawings and papers from when I went in my scrapbook.

I am way old now and can still remember hiking up to upper meadow for an overnight stay. On the way up we were smelling the sap coming out of the trees and learning it does not always smell like pine. Vanilla and butterscotch were the ones I remember most and I still share this with my great nephews when they visit.

Hopefully they can add it back at a later date.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Mar 2011 11:31 #2 by 2wlady
But they still have spectator sports: football, basketball, baseball, wrestling, cheerleading, for the majority of the students to sit on their happy arses and watch.

12 Mar 2011 11:40 #3 by Rick
Outdoor lab was pretty cool, I don't remember learning much but we did have fun. I think parents can do the same kind of thing with their kids if they have the motivation to get off their butts on days off. School will eventually be about just learning the essentials and outside activities including sports will have to be funded by parents who can afford to.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

12 Mar 2011 12:04 #4 by major bean
If outdoor lab is associated with the science courses, then it should definitely be kept. Depending upon the instructor, it is invaluable to greater understanding to many of the science courses.

To hell with baseball, football, cheerleading, basketball, etc.

Regards,
Major Bean

12 Mar 2011 12:13 #5 by AspenValley

major bean wrote: If outdoor lab is associated with the science courses, then it should definitely be kept. Depending upon the instructor, it is invaluable to greater understanding to many of the science courses.

To hell with baseball, football, cheerleading, basketball, etc.

I couldn't agree more. I credit Outdoor Lab with my oldest getting interested in Biology. That interest has taken her all the way to medical school. It's a shame to cut a program like this when they keep all the sports programs.

12 Mar 2011 13:39 #6 by Rick
When the is no money, cuts have to be made. I think sports should be paid for by parents and the extra could go to more learning activities like outdoor lab.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

12 Mar 2011 14:09 #7 by HappyCamper
Sports are important but if only the rich can afford them it leaves other kids out of it.

We do not have kids but, feel that the activites are important and it also helps keep the kids out of trouble.

Sad that public school is being hit so hard but my guess there is a lot waste out there. Hope that other things can be cut so it is not the kids that are paying for it.

Teacher in-service days seem strange to me, when I was growing up I do not remember these.

I just think it is sad.

12 Mar 2011 15:01 #8 by Rick
It is sad, I have 3 kids in school and all three are involved in non-school sports. Between the 3 I probably spend about $1200 a year. Not all sports are affordable...my son wanted to get into hockey but it's crazy expensive where football costs me about $275 a season and we parents get together and do fund raising for the extras /trophies/banquet etc. My daughters play volleyball and soccer for about $150 a season.

Just because people decide to have kids, that doesn't mean that the rest of you who don't should have to pay the cost of sports and non-educational activities. We all need to face reality, the country is going broke, Colorado has a 1.1 billion deficit, and that will only grow bigger unless we make cuts.

I have friends with kids who spend more time on the couch watching tv and very little time educating their kids or getting them involved in outside activities....the XBox seems to be the easiest way to bypass such tedious activities. It's about time parents realize that the state can not take care of all their children's needs for 12 years, we all need to step up and make sacrifices for the little people we created even if it's just going to the park with all the neighbor kids and create your own sporting events. I remember doing this as a kid but I don't see it much anymore.

George Orwell

12 Mar 2011 18:12 #9 by Local_Historian
I was too old when we movd her, my son was too old when we moved back, but my sister went to Outdoor Lab many many moons ago...

I think the experience should still exist IF funded by parents and grants for those who cannot afford it. It would be a good option to address.

12 Mar 2011 18:22 #10 by Mayhem

major bean wrote: To hell with baseball, football, cheerleading, basketball, etc.

Hey MB quit with trying to steal my title of least popular :lol:

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds