Could $5-Per-Gallon Gas Be What Palin Needs?

17 Mar 2011 21:48 #1 by kresspin
As gasoline prices shot up for the 13th straight day on Monday to a new national average topping $3.50 and oil prices rose to over $106 a barrel, the cost of energy seemed poised once again to rise to the forefront of the political discourse just as the 2012 presidential campaign generates steam.

Of all the prospective Republican candidates, none may have a better opportunity to benefit politically from a nominating cycle in which gas prices take center stage than former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

Marginalized by critics in 2008 over her perceived parochialism and lack of foreign policy experience, Palin can legitimately boast of a wide breadth of knowledge and wealth of experience on energy issues. For her, high gasoline prices may be an opportunity to demonstrate her own candlepower.

During an appearance on Fox News last weekend, Palin nodded in anticipation and smiled confidently as host Jeanine Pirro lined up a question about what the government should do about rising gas prices.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl ... needs.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Mar 2011 07:09 #2 by FredHayek
In this era of stagnant wages, inflation might be even a bigger issue than jobs in 2012. Unemployment only affects those without work, inflation hits all of us.
And gasoline prices are are a big part of the inflation rising.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Mar 2011 09:03 #3 by Rockdoc
Looked yesterday at diesel prices, you know the fuel truckers use and many farmers, and was shocked to se it at 3.88/gal. Talk about fueling inflation. It's trickle down economics because every corporation who whips their products (from food to cars) adds the added shipping expense to the price of their products, so we all end up paying ever more. But then that has been a trend since time memorial. Has there ever been a time when the price of commodities went down? Yes, gold and metals in general, but the real important things like food??? Didn't think so. It always comes down to production and delivery costs and those continue to rise ever more aggressively as most everything is tied so intimately with oil.

If that is not an important forum for 2012, I do not know what will be. Still I have doubts that Palin will be successful in any presidential bid.

18 Mar 2011 09:13 #4 by FredHayek
Actually food as a percentage of people's spending has been at record lows in America. And farmers have been getting about the same for their wheat for a long time, it is the middle man who are jumping the price right now, hoping it will stick.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Mar 2011 09:30 #5 by Martin Ent Inc
Farm diesel is not taxed at the same rate you see at the pump.

18 Mar 2011 11:10 #6 by kresspin
I can't imagine any president being re-elected if gas is topping $4 a gallon during the campaign.

18 Mar 2011 11:22 #7 by TPP
Never will go that high oblama promised us, O he also promised that unemployment would NEVER go over 8%, and that Gitmo would be closed, on & on & on...

He does have a good jump shot & is getting closer to par, so I should be thankful...

19 Mar 2011 09:35 #8 by Wily Fox aka Angela
the world is running out of oil. that is really the only reason we are in the middle east. if we (the American people) want to keep living like there is no tomorrow, then our gov't doesn't have a choice. It will have to continue to get involved to protect THE OIL. I think we could use this time as a real come to Jesus time and ask the question - do you want us to keep intervening in the Middle East or do you want to get serious about alternative, non petroleum based fuels and energy? I don't know why the politicians don't just tell it like it is.

19 Mar 2011 10:03 #9 by kresspin

19 Mar 2011 11:40 #10 by TPP

Wily Weasel wrote: the world is running out of oil. that is really the only reason we are in the middle east. if we (the American people) want to keep living like there is no tomorrow, then our gov't doesn't have a choice. It will have to continue to get involved to protect THE OIL. I think we could use this time as a real come to Jesus time and ask the question - do you want us to keep intervening in the Middle East or do you want to get serious about alternative, non petroleum based fuels and energy? I don't know why the politicians don't just tell it like it is.

That, my friend is a VERY uneducated statement The WOTLD has more oil & oil shale then it knows wha to do with....
the top ten countries that the U.S. imports from:

1. Canada
2. Mexico
3. Saudi Arabia
4. Venezuela
5. Nigeria
6. Angola
7. Iraq
8. Algeria
9. United Kingdom
10. Brazil
And that's only the top 10...

It's all speculators/politics & greedy B*STARDS!
If the government (both sides) would let firms drill the supply would be bigger than the demand and MAYB we would see $1.00 a gallon gas again.
BUT it's just not worth the VOTES & $$$$ flowing into the goverment (that's both sides) For them to grow a pair and lift the regulations that have oil companyies hands tied, Why do you thing Brazil is moving up the top ten, because there are so many regulations, and backlash that U.S. oil companies are moving away from the U.S. and going for the coast of Brazil, (not sure but if I remeber correctly 10 years ago Brazil was somewhere around the low 40's.) And IMHO, that's what oblama is doing begging for oil, think about it and don't be brainwashed by ANY of the media. Ask yourself, at the presss con. today, didn't either leader take questions?

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds