Could $5-Per-Gallon Gas Be What Palin Needs?

19 Mar 2011 11:42 - 19 Mar 2011 11:56 #11 by TPP
BTW, we have found MORE oil deposits in the U.S. than S.A. has 100 fold.
Thank the WACKO environmentalists, and the PC left.

Please don't misunderstand I beleive that we need to come up with other forms of enegery, but it needs to be done correctly, and provide cheaply to coustmers (U.S.), and profitable for the companies developing the new sources. DON"T JUMP INTO KNEE JERK REACTIONS THAT WILL KILL THIS COUNTY.
Suggestion, someday about 0300 go seat near the Santa Fe exit and count the COAL filled train cars, Since this is my business, I happen to know the train has no less than 100 COAL filled cars, they are emptied, and turned around and filled for the next day.
Each car carries 100 to 200 TONS of coal, that's anywhere between 10,000 to 20,000 tons of caol that we burn each day. where it comes from research it... the way that it's used is simalur to that of a nuke plant only with coal, the coal burning heats water, which then turns terbines (which simply are 2 magnets), fast enough to cause electricity. Nuke plants work the same way they use the rods to super heat the water, which turns the terbines. This is a simple explation, but roughtly how it works. read more on how the hoover Dam works. IF we could come up with a source that turns the turbines with out used another source that would be great, and someday we will... So let the government know that we're sick of all this political BS, we want drilling, and we want it now.

Nice rant, right?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Mar 2011 11:55 #12 by outdoor338

19 Mar 2011 13:55 #13 by kresspin
Given TPPs supply and demand speech... Then how come diamonds aren't $1 a carat?

19 Mar 2011 13:58 #14 by Rockdoc

Martin Ent Inc wrote: Farm diesel is not taxed at the same rate you see at the pump.

While that is true, do not forget the delivery charges. I pay $50 for delivery and then another $50/hr while delivery is being made In the end, 300 gl of farm diesel costs me about as much as it would were I to get diesel at a local pump. I may need to invest in a tank and pump on the back of my truck to make it a worthwhile effort. Obviously, now that prices have escalated, the fuel in my tank saves me $ until the next fill up ... unless I can manage to catch another low cycle.

19 Mar 2011 14:03 #15 by Rockdoc

TPP wrote: BTW, we have found MORE oil deposits in the U.S. than S.A. has 100 fold.

Please don't misunderstand I beleive that we need to come up with other forms of enegery, but it needs to be done correctly, and provide cheaply to coustmers (U.S.), and profitable for the companies developing the new sources. DON"T JUMP INTO KNEE JERK REACTIONS THAT WILL KILL THIS COUNTY.
Suggestion, someday about 0300 go seat near the Santa Fe exit and count the COAL filled train cars, Since this is my business, I happen to know the train has no less than 100 COAL filled cars, they are emptied, and turned around and filled for the next day.
Each car carries 100 to 200 TONS of coal, that's anywhere between 10,000 to 20,000 tons of caol that we burn each day. where it comes from research it... the way that it's used is simalur to that of a nuke plant only with coal, the coal burning heats water, which then turns terbines (which simply are 2 magnets), fast enough to cause electricity. Nuke plants work the same way they use the rods to super heat the water, which turns the terbines. This is a simple explation, but roughtly how it works. read more on how the hoover Dam works. IF we could come up with a source that turns the turbines with out used another source that would be great, and someday we will... So let the government know that we're sick of all this political BS, we want drilling, and we want it now.

Nice rant, right?

The only way the US has more oil than SA is if you take the numbers the USGS published and those include oil shale. The problem with those calculations is they estimate the size of the oil shale, assign some oil recovery value and crunch the numbers. There is a fundamental problem with this in that not all oil shale can be produced. Like oil in other reservoirs there are sweet spots that are produceable and vast areas that are not. Those numbers are way to optimistic. Also, you are talking potential oil volumes not reserves. Potential oil volumes in SA are still being calculated. Hardly anything has been drilled in the "empty quarter", that is 550,000 sq km of space beneath the desert that only now is gaining attention.

20 Mar 2011 08:19 #16 by TPP

kresspin wrote: Given TPPs supply and demand speech... Then how come diamonds aren't $1 a carat?

It takes a lot of WORK to turn a rough diamond, into a diamond worth selling, mainly slave labor to get the rough diamonds, then they have to be sorted, then polished, then sold, the careful split, one boo-boo and the stone becomes dust, many little things, that are worth nothing, then they must be mounted (as in a ring, not as in a woman, though I needed to explain that for some out there).
VERY LABOR INTETENSIVE, thus the supply is not as large as the demand.

Could have come up with a better example, if ya would have used the net, or your brain... tongue: :loser:

20 Mar 2011 08:47 #17 by TPP

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

TPP wrote: BTW, we have found MORE oil deposits in the U.S. than S.A. has 100 fold.

Nice rant, right?

The only way the US has more oil than SA is if you take the numbers the USGS published and those include oil shale. The problem with those calculations is they estimate the size of the oil shale, assign some oil recovery value and crunch the numbers. There is a fundamental problem with this in that not all oil shale can be produced. Like oil in other reservoirs there are sweet spots that are produceable and vast areas that are not. Those numbers are way to optimistic. Also, you are talking potential oil volumes not reserves. Potential oil volumes in SA are still being calculated. Hardly anything has been drilled in the "empty quarter", that is 550,000 sq km of space beneath the desert that only now is gaining attention.

You the RockDoc...but

Vast oil deposit found in gulf
U.S. reserves may grow at least 50%. But it will take years to tap the oil 4 miles below the sea floor and bring it to market, experts say.

Read more: Vast oil deposit found in gulf - The Denver Post
http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_4292203#ixzz1H9LhfbmI {Ture it's The post and they let's say are one sided}

BP Finds Large Oil Deposit In Gulf Of Mexico
Deposit Holds Between 4 Billion And 6 Billion Barrels Of Oil.
http://www.wdsu.com/r/20704614/detail.html

"In March, Mexico announced the discovery of a field that could be larger than Cantarell, the Noxal field in the Gulf of Mexico off Veracruz." http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=37778 (true it is Mexico, but we support Mexico anyhow, and get oil for it)

Takes awhile to load, buty IMO worth wait.
Note the MILLIONS of miles left untapped, can't tell ya if it's been explored or not. If not why NOT!
Also note that they don't show the hundreds of wells in northern CO. that are just sitting there capped.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/rpd/topfields.pdf

20 Mar 2011 10:07 #18 by Rockdoc

TPP wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

Nice rant, right?

You the RockDoc...but

Vast oil deposit found in gulf
U.S. reserves may grow at least 50%. But it will take years to tap the oil 4 miles below the sea floor and bring it to market, experts say.

Read more: Vast oil deposit found in gulf - The Denver Post
http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_4292203#ixzz1H9LhfbmI {Ture it's The post and they let's say are one sided}

BP Finds Large Oil Deposit In Gulf Of Mexico
Deposit Holds Between 4 Billion And 6 Billion Barrels Of Oil.
http://www.wdsu.com/r/20704614/detail.html

"In March, Mexico announced the discovery of a field that could be larger than Cantarell, the Noxal field in the Gulf of Mexico off Veracruz." http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=37778 (true it is Mexico, but we support Mexico anyhow, and get oil for it)

Takes awhile to load, buty IMO worth wait.
Note the MILLIONS of miles left untapped, can't tell ya if it's been explored or not. If not why NOT!
Also note that they don't show the hundreds of wells in northern CO. that are just sitting there capped.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/rpd/topfields.pdf

I think it is great to see these discoveries. Note they are discoveries with estimated reserves. There is a huge difference between estimated and proven reserves. Still overall good news. Another fly in the ointment is the length of time it take to get these discoveries to market as you noted. By that time our proven reserves obviously will be depleted even more so all we are managing is replacing what we had and perhaps improving our lot a small fraction.

Where does your information about capped wells come from? There are lots of reasons for capping a well, not all of which have anything to do with withholding production. I also do not see how you arrived at the conclusion regarding the millions of miles of untapped areas. All basins in the US mainland are mature, meaning they have been extensively explored. Relatively new potential basins are represented by the Atlantic continental margin and even further offshore in the Gulf of Mexico.

I'm not one of those explorationists or government types (USGS) who look at the world with rose colored glasses. Mostly what I see is disinformation or incomplete information being fed by our governmental agencies to the public who then is left to believe that the oil problem is not as bad as it seems. The general belief persists because no one wants to face the harsh reality of what it would be like to suddenly not have such a precious commodity readily available. It is said that we have reached peak oil (where we are now going to start into the long progressive decline phase). I'm not convinced we are there yet, but the cost to extract what remains will rise astronomically.

Take for example, that most oil fields have a recovery factor of only 30% or less. This means that most oil fields being produced leave 70% of the oil in the ground. Getting even a fraction of the oil that was not produced out remains a technological challenge we (oil industry) still do not know exactly how to tackle. Yes, secondary and tertiary recovery techniques exist and are used in some fields today, but these are best applied while a field is being produced rather than after a field was abandoned. These techniques simply do not work in abandoned fields for a variety of reasons, the most important being water flooding the oil field. Once at that stage, it's a whole new ball game to extract additional oil.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds