Does anyone really care?

11 Jun 2010 09:41 #11 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Does anyone really care?
Would also love to hear about the history of the area.
PC history....do you know anything about a possible large fire that may have gone through Deer Creek years ago. I see evidence all over and I know that our tree stands are fairly young.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jun 2010 09:42 #12 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Does anyone really care?
ps..That is a very cool website. How did I miss that before?

13 Jun 2010 16:45 #13 by stcroix2
Replied by stcroix2 on topic Does anyone really care?
Yes, we care! We live quite a ways on up 285 from Platte Canyon, in the area of Weston & Mosquito Pass. There is noting left up here, but history!

One tidbit I'll pass along: In a two year period, 1878~79 Park County 5 and 22 (Weston Pass Road), may well have been the busiest road in all of Colorado. As the Denver, South Park, and Pacific Railroad built toward Leadville in 1879, end-of-track was at the wild tent town of Weston, several miles east of Twin Bridges. From there, the Wall & Witter Company alone sent 7 stagecoaches and 11 freight wagons each day to conquer Weston Pass. On September 4, 1879, 225 teams were counted crossing the summit.

I'm not sure, but I'd suspect almost everyone of those stagecoaches and wagons passed through Platte Canyon on their way up.

And for the truly crazy adventurers, we've planted a Geocache up in an old cabin at the summit of Weston Pass. Most any vehicle can make the summit from the Fairplay side, the Leadville side is another story!

14 Jun 2010 13:47 #14 by Local_Historian
Pop it up, baby~

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds