Elvis very sick last night.

12 Jun 2010 10:52 #1 by mountaindollar
Thought I would post what happened in case you ever have a dog with similar symptoms.

When we got home yesterday Elvis was completely normal, running around like a fool and playing smear the queer with his brothers and sisters. He ate dinner normal at 7:00 and played the rest of the evening just like always.

Got ready for bed around 10:00 and he came up for his loving and I noticed he was shaking. He just wanted to be held and within 10 minutes he was shaking worse and acting like he was in pain.

Called Evergreen vet and discussed the situation and they were great we talked for about 15 minutes. We decided to keep an eye on him for a little bit but after another 10 minutes he was shaking even more and getting a bit listless.

Bob grabbed him and headed for Evergreen while I called to let them know he was on the way.

When he got to the vet his temp was 106, they got an IV going ASAP and pulled blood.

Although they are not sure they think he may have eaten a mushroom. We checked the yard this morning and did not find any. His blood work did not show anything being out of whack.

Had we not taken him in he may not be with us as damage to organs happens very quickly with a temp that high.

Bob is headed back to pick him up now temp is down and the tremors are gone but we will need to keep a close eye on him.

Although we did not find any mushrooms, if you have dogs take a look around and get rid of them. We don’t want anyone else to have to go through what little Elvis did last night.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Jun 2010 10:54 #2 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Elvis very sick last night.
Oh my goodness. Poor thing. Good heads up. Keep us updated.

12 Jun 2010 13:27 #3 by PhoneGeek
I've actually have had 2 horses that had high fevers and the vet couldn't figure out what caused it, temp. was 104 with both my horses. Very strange and scary. :yikes:

12 Jun 2010 18:37 #4 by mountaindollar
Elvis is home and while he still is not feeling very well we are very lucky he is still here with us.

He is really such a lover and just wants to be held and spoiled right now which he will get.

He does not have much of an appetite which if you know Elvis that is typically not a problem.

Love my guys and gals they are everything to us so we hope all are back to normal soon. His brother and sisters have been very nice to him have not tried to make him the queer since he came home. Little Truffle keeps snuggling against him when he lays down. She even brought him a toy, talk about a moment when you wish you had video running.

She picked up the biggest toy she could brought it to him and when he didn't play with is she kept nudging it with her nose like she was saying play with it you will feel better. Truffle loves her big brother she always looks to him if something scary happens.

12 Jun 2010 19:09 #5 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic Elvis very sick last night.
I am glad Elvis is home and starting to feel better.

My dog eats mushrooms all the time. He is allergic to them, but just gets itchy. Nothing more serious than that thankfully.

13 Jun 2010 16:11 #6 by pound dog mom
I am so glad Elvis is home and healing. What a scare!

13 Jun 2010 16:34 #7 by mountaindollar
He is pretty much back to normal today which is great he's not quite 2 yet so we are glad we still have him.

Walked the property yet again today and still have not seen any mushrooms. If it is like past years they will pop out in the next day or two so I will be out pulling them up.

Kim

14 Jun 2010 07:22 #8 by LopingAlong
Kim, I'm so glad he's ok! You've had a lot going on this past little while so enough already!
See ya soon and give Elvis a hug from us.

14 Jun 2010 08:45 #9 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Elvis very sick last night.
I had a dream last night that my dog was about to eat mushrooms and they were all over my yard. LOL.

I am glad he is okay.

14 Jun 2010 09:59 #10 by LopingAlong
I'm glad your dream didn't happen!

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds