Cool tater box

16 Aug 2011 16:23 #11 by MichiganGal
Replied by MichiganGal on topic Cool tater box

Sugar Lady wrote: I went right out and added sides of shrink wrap. I will watch to see if it helps,hurts or what.
Thanks

Well have all the bugs worked out before next years growing season! Something weird is happening to my plants here in Michigan...... since I haven't grown potatoes in straw before all of a sudden we noticed round tomato like things growing from where the flowers were. :faint: Do you have any idea what this is? I hope this isn't the potatoes we were hoping were growing In the straw.... :lol:

Never Say Never

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Aug 2011 16:33 #12 by Sugar Lady
Replied by Sugar Lady on topic Cool tater box

MichiganGal wrote:

Sugar Lady wrote: I went right out and added sides of shrink wrap. I will watch to see if it helps,hurts or what.
Thanks

Well have all the bugs worked out before next years growing season! Something weird is happening to my plants here in Michigan...... since I haven't grown potatoes in straw before all of a sudden we noticed round tomato like things growing from where the flowers were. :faint: Do you have any idea what this is? I hope this isn't the potatoes we were hoping were growing In the straw.... :lol:

:scared: Nope that's a new one on me I hope its not your taters.
Maybe someone else can help.

When you find out let me know what they are.

17 Aug 2011 19:40 #13 by MichiganGal

Sugar Lady wrote:

MichiganGal wrote:

Thanks

:scared: Nope that's a new one on me I hope its not your taters.
Maybe someone else can help.

When you find out let me know what they are.

They look like cherry tomatoes....... I have no idea and I hope they are not the taters!color]

Never Say Never

17 Aug 2011 20:46 #14 by AspenValley
Replied by AspenValley on topic Cool tater box
Sound like potato fruits. Yes, they fruit. Not edible, though. Here's a picture and a link:

http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/PPDL/weeklypics/8-10-09.html

29 Aug 2011 18:52 #15 by Sugar Lady
THANKS
I had no idea what they where.
I have never had fruit on my tater plants.

29 Aug 2011 21:19 #16 by MichiganGal

AspenValley wrote: Sound like potato fruits. Yes, they fruit. Not edible, though. Here's a picture and a link:

http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/PPDL/weeklypics/8-10-09.html

Someone told me that they were seed potatoes and if they survive the winter cold they will grow next year into new plants......... But that is what they look like that is for sure!! Thanks a bunch! :thumbsup:

Never Say Never

14 Sep 2011 18:51 #17 by MichiganGal
Well I suck at potato farming! From the 12-plants we had we got 12 potatoes growing in the straw...... now the dirt underneath was rock hard but the straw was moist, so now to dig up the rock hard dirt and see what might be in there. Other wise the stew was delicious! Good thing I dont have to depend on my garden this year, I would starve by the looks of things.

Never Say Never

14 Sep 2011 19:07 #18 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic Cool tater box
Sorry you didn't get more. I had about the same amt of plants and got quite a few. There is photo around here somewhere.

Here is the link to a picture. :biggrin:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" 285bound.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=14242 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=139&t=14242<!-- l -->

14 Sep 2011 19:34 #19 by MichiganGal

pacamom wrote: Sorry you didn't get more. I had about the same amt of plants and got quite a few. There is photo around here somewhere.

Here is the link to a picture. :biggrin:

http://285bound.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=14242

Wonder why? They were tasty that is for sure!

Never Say Never

05 Oct 2011 18:17 #20 by Sugar Lady
:wave: ....OK.....I couldn't stand it anymore I dug up the 2 Potato plant I planted on Aug 4
:woo hoo: ... There were 18 that were the size of a quarter and 13 the size of a half dollar.
That's 2 months

In the spring I am planting 10 Tater Boxes :sunshine:

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds