This Small Square of Fabric Could Save Your Life

17 Oct 2011 20:21 #1 by CinnamonGirl
http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2 ... -find-lost

Adventure-seekers can use all kinds of emergency beacon tech to help themselves get found in case they go missing — but in many cases, this requires sticking something in your pocket, from which it could conceivably fall out. A new antenna could instead be sewn right into your clothes, ensuring rescuers can find you so long as you’re wearing something.
Researchers at the European Space Agency worked with a private Finnish company to develop the stretchable, water-resistant antenna seen here. Click here to see a .GIF showing how well it holds up to scrunching.

Could this be used for hiking?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Oct 2011 20:49 #2 by otisptoadwater
I am sure that there are plenty of well intentioned purposes for this device but I'll stick to my signal mirror, whistle, and fire starting equipment for now. If I really want to be found I can do it with those tools, if I get desperate I'll take the tinfoil out of my hat. I can also imagine a few less than honorable uses of this kind of device, tracking people without their knowledge expanded beyond intelligence agencies and law enforcement for example.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

17 Oct 2011 20:52 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic This Small Square of Fabric Could Save Your Life
No matter what there are things all hikers should follow to be safe. Let someone know exactly where you are going and when you expect to be back, and leave a note in your car. And bring along all those things. Expect the unexpected at all times and respect the mountains.

17 Oct 2011 20:57 #4 by Wayne Harrison
Great, it's sewn into your clothes and somehow transmits a low frequency signal right next to your body.

Cancer from radio waves anyone?

(the article doesn't mention you also have to have a TRANSMITTER for it to operate. An antenna doesn't transmit by itself.)

17 Oct 2011 21:09 #5 by otisptoadwater

CinnamonGirl wrote: No matter what there are things all hikers should follow to be safe. Let someone know exactly where you are going and when you expect to be back, and leave a note in your car. And bring along all those things. Expect the unexpected at all times and respect the mountains.

Agreed, if you don't have those principals in the forefront of your mind stay home or go with someone who understands (and has) topographic maps and a compass (or trust in the batteries and "water proof" capabilities of your hand held GPS). If you don't have enough stuff and enough knowledge to get by in the worst conditions for 72 hours with the stuff you have on your person you might regret going out for a "short hike."

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

17 Oct 2011 21:09 #6 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic This Small Square of Fabric Could Save Your Life
It seems like they could come up with something for the Colorado mountains that would alert a satellite. That is small.

17 Oct 2011 21:12 #7 by CinnamonGirl

otisptoadwater wrote:

CinnamonGirl wrote: No matter what there are things all hikers should follow to be safe. Let someone know exactly where you are going and when you expect to be back, and leave a note in your car. And bring along all those things. Expect the unexpected at all times and respect the mountains.

Agreed, if you don't have those principals in the forefront of your mind stay home or go with someone who understands (and has) topographic maps and a compass (or trust in the batteries and "water proof" capabilities of your hand held GPS). If you don't have enough stuff and enough knowledge to get by in the worst conditions for 72 hours with the stuff you have on your person you might regret going out for a "short hike."

There are so many people who die from hiking and I believe 80% could have been avoided by being diligent in safety. I was taught from a young age. My kids always laughed at me on mountain day trips because I pack food and clothes like we are going on a vacation. And I pack for winter in the middle of summer. You cannot be too prepared. I get so upset when I see people die up there and it could have been avoided.

17 Oct 2011 21:15 #8 by Wayne Harrison

CinnamonGirl wrote: It seems like they could come up with something for the Colorado mountains that would alert a satellite. That is small.

They have. It's called a SPOT hiking beacon:

http://www.amazon.com/SPOT-Inc-SPOT-1-P ... B000YTZV74

17 Oct 2011 21:17 #9 by CinnamonGirl
That is a reasonable price. Are you sure it works?

17 Oct 2011 21:18 #10 by Wayne Harrison
Many of my friends use it every time they hike, and have for years. Loved ones can log onto a special web page and see the progress of the person in the back country.

One friend found an injured hiker on a 14er, activated her SPOT and rescue arrived within 2 hours.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds