Is catch and release fishing ethical?

07 Aug 2012 23:59 #11 by Photo-fish

Martin Ent Inc wrote: Been several studies on catch and release. Even if handeled carefully mortality rates were still high.

http://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/fish/other/catch-release-fishing/

Average Mortality = 2.76% http://www.acuteangling.com/Reference/C&RMortality.html

Two factors predominate when considering the causes of angled fish mortality: the hooking location, and the degree of physiological stress suffered by the fish

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/recreational/articles/crmortalityresearch.html

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Aug 2012 06:55 #12 by LOL
Glad to see the rate is that low PF, I would have guessed much higher than 2.7%.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

08 Aug 2012 11:11 #13 by BearMtnHIB
I fish to put dinner on the table. I only throw back what the rules say to throw back, otherwise I'm going to eat um.

This is why I fish- to catch a fish I can eat.

12 Aug 2012 17:05 #14 by Martin Ent Inc
Good to know, but it is FL. LOL (born and raised there before transplaning, they will say anything to get snowbirds to come)

The study I read was in a magazine at the eye docs office. It was conducted on trout in several states but the main one was AK.

I caught 5 today ranging from 12" to 17" released 2 and put the others on the grill.

13 Aug 2012 14:06 #15 by Grady
We floated the upper Colorado, last weekend. We released all but one, I had to have at least one for breakfast. :biggrin:

13 Aug 2012 18:39 #16 by Photo-fish

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

15 Aug 2012 12:24 #17 by Mtn Gramma
Went fishing with the grands yesterday. Did catch and release into the frying pan. Yummy.

01 Feb 2013 18:37 #18 by Photo-fish

02 Feb 2013 12:19 #19 by Arlen
Catch and release is inhumane. The fisherman's guilt pacifier of wet hands does not make the practice of handling the fish safe for the fish. Most will die because of this handling.

02 Feb 2013 16:11 #20 by Photo-fish
What's your source?
That's your opinion and my opinion is that yours is wrong. Most DO NOT die. Yes certain practices lead to high mortality (bait, playing too long, fishing already stresses fish etc.) How do you think the fish in catch and release sections grow to be so big and so old. If mortality is as high as you believe, they would not be there.

As far as inhmane, I don't believe so.

"Fish never suffered an anticipation of the pain as a human would. As soon as the pain stops, fish resume the business of feeding and schooling or nesting or ignoring flies or whatever fish work they were engaged in. Says Dr. Thompson: “Their brains are not wired up like ours and don't even have all the same parts that our brains do.”
I have caught the same fish before during the same 1/2 hour.

I don't feel any guilt when I release a fish back into the wild unless I know it might not make it. That happens, I won't deny it. But it does not happen by my hand very often at all. I have seen some terrible actions that some considered a safe release where I know that fish would not survive. It is up to people who know how, to educate those who don't.
Please also read through a few of the links I posted above like
http://www.acuteangling.com/Reference/C&RMortality.html

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds