Last Harry Potter July 15th Midnight Showing - Who's In?!

18 Jun 2011 11:23 #1 by ScienceChic
I'm gathering a group to go see the final Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2 at the IMAX midnight showing Thursday night/Friday am July 15th - who'd like to join us?! I've never been to a midnight opening of a movie, and I think this one will be hard to top if I ever do it again. If anyone's interested, we can do a showing of Part 1 here at my house before heading over too!

Tickets are already on sale, $10.50/adult. http://www.fandango.com/harrypotterandt ... =7/14/2011

UA Colorado Center Stadium 9 & IMAX
2000 S. Colorado Blvd., Denver, CO 80222

This is gonna be so much fun!!!!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Jun 2011 14:34 #2 by CinnamonGirl
I know Wiseguy is in !! What theater?

18 Jun 2011 16:52 #3 by ScienceChic
This one:

IMAX
2000 S. Colorado Blvd., Denver, CO 80222 It's right at I-25 and Colorado, SE corner

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

18 Jun 2011 17:29 #4 by Local_Historian
Already accepted an invite from the local (Denver) Pirate group. So not sure if any of them are coming in any sort of costume, but perhaps we'll see you there.

18 Jun 2011 17:51 #5 by ScienceChic
Sweet! That would be cool LH!

Here's the latest trailer (caution, if you haven't read the book, there are spoilers contained within!).
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50053
HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2 Final Theatrical Trailer!
Published at: Jun 16, 2011

The new POTTER trailer? It's spoilery as hell. If you haven't read the books, and don't know the ending, you really need to avoid this. For those of us that have read the books though - HOLY CRAP. One key scene, especially, reveals... well, I won't say what it reveals. But it's one hell of a great trailer regardless.

[youtube:3pwkgkph]
[/youtube:3pwkgkph]

14 Jul 2011 15:09 #6 by ScienceChic
And the trailer for the next Batman movie will be shown for the first time before HP. :thumbsup:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50319
As We Come To The Final Film... Take A Look Back At HARRY POTTER Through The Years!
Published at: Jul 10, 2011

But what makes these books and films resonate as well as they do? I don't think it's that difficult - the entire series is about growing up, and just because it takes place in a world of dragons, magic, and broomsticks doesn't make it any less relevant to kids - who aren't really kids anymore. Very, very few authors have been able to write about those years as successfully as Rowling did, and to that core audience.

These films were in real danger of not being nearly as good as they were. In fact, if J. K. Rowling hadn't taken such control over her story early on, we might have gotten something fairly awful. Of course, Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint *are* Harry, Hermione, and Ron - and they always will be. But what's astounding isn't only that these kids turned out as great in the films as they did, but that practically all the child casting turned out wonderfully.

If a child was 10 years old when that first book came out that child is well into their twenties at this point and these films and books have just as much weight to that adult as the STAR WARS original trilogy does for my generation. In fact, these kids have it better - while we suffered the Prequels, there isn't a single "bad" POTTER film in the lot.

So now we come to it, the final film, released this Friday. Will we see anything like HARRY POTTER touch so many people again? Of course we will, but it may take some time, and it may not hit every generation the way HARRY POTTER has. I'm sure at my screening there will be cheers, and tears, and applause, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Some things are beyond criticism, I think. I have issues with the films, but almost all of them are about how they failed to get this thing or that from the books into the film, and I'm sure DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2 will be the same. But the audience experience with them will, I hope, be on par with those great experiences I had with EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, or RETURN OF THE KING, and that makes this journey well worth taking. Cynics may scoff all they like, but they will be the ones in the darkness and cold, while I'll be in the theater, with the warmth of the love of the fans, and a story well told, and a hero we all can believe in. Long live Harry Potter. All is well.

[youtube:wsz9p965]
[/youtube:wsz9p965]

The first fanboy review:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50350
Quint thinks they fumbled the ball with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Published at: Jul 12, 2011

The journey has been a fascinating one, an experiment in filmmaking that has never been attempted at this level, much less been as creatively and financially successful and for that I’ll always be humbled by this series, book nerd nit-picks and minor grumbles aside.

So, I’m sad to say that I think they fumbled the finale a little bit. Don’t worry, they didn’t totally screw the pooch. The second installment of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows is a good movie, that gives a somewhat satisfying end to the series… But I didn’t want good. The source material wasn’t just “good.” This series needed a great finale.

Go to the review if you want to find out more before watching it yourself. I was wondering about this specific point myself, and am disappointed, but still think I'll love it based on everything else Quint discusses.

T-minus 9 hours to go!!!!

14 Jul 2011 21:41 #7 by ScienceChic
http://www.npr.org/2011/07/14/137790846 ... c=fb&cc=fp
Can Wizards And Vampires Collect Unemployment?
by Bob Mondello
July 14, 2011

With employment numbers stuck in a rut and high school grads among those least likely to land jobs, along comes fresh competition. Do you have any idea how many wizards, werewolves and vampires are going to be out of work soon?

In a few months, Craigslist is going to have all kinds of eye-catching resumes:

SCHOOL ATHLETE (captain of Quidditch team) seeks entry-level position. No degree, but considerable leadership experience. Contact Harry James Potter.

Or:

NIGHT SHIFT SOUGHT by graduate of multiple high schools. If you're thinking extremely long-term, ask for Edward Cullen.

lol

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50391
You dare use my own Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day against me, Potter? Yes. I’m the Half-Blood Prince!
Published at: Jul 14, 2011

T-minus 2 hours 20 minutes!!!!

14 Jul 2011 21:55 #8 by CinnamonGirl
I don't understand this because I have never watched a HP movie in my life but thought you would like it SC.

[youtube:3o4yeren]
[/youtube:3o4yeren]

14 Jul 2011 23:30 #9 by ScienceChic
That was weird, but thx!

I got here an hour before show time to find out that they'd already let everyone in. :faint: I'm down in the front row - ugh. Not that many costumes, so I didn't bother taking pictures...don't kids these days know how you're supposed to do it, or is that not cool anymore???

Looking forward to the trailers - go time in 35 min! :woo hoo:

01 Mar 2014 14:15 #10 by ScienceChic
I started reading the Harry Potter series to my oldest when school started this year, we're now up to the Half-Blood Prince (Book 6). Fortuitously, this article was just shared yesterday from a year-old post made on a blog and I enjoyed it much as we're nearing the end of the series. I didn't like the cutesy way that Rowling wrapped everything up, this ending appeals to me more. The comments are especially good, I highly recommend reading through the link.

What do you think? Plausible, or is he a mere mortal like the rest of us?

The awesome Harry Potter ending J.K. Rowling didn't even know she had
Rob Bricken
2/28/14

Someone had an idea about how the Harry Potter books should have ended and it's fantastic. And when I say fantastic I mean this is truly, objectively what Harry Potter's final fate should have been in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and J.K. Rowling screwed it up.

[Via I Waste So Much Time ]

12 Post-Potter Revelations J.K. Rowling Has Shared
Roma Panganiban
February 4, 2014

...some of Rowling's most surprising insights about the fates of Harry and friends have come straight from her own mouth in various interviews given since Deathly Hallows closed the book on their stories. Here are some of the most essential insights from those interviews—though if the past few years are any indication, they won’t be the last. Note: If you haven't read all the books or seen all the movies, spoilers abound!

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds