Angelina Jolie Opts For Preventive Double Masectomies

14 May 2013 05:34 #1 by FredHayek
They found the breast cancer gene in her and since her own mother died in her 50's opted to have the surgery. Too extreme? A Hollywood style overreaction? Or just a devoted mother who wants to be there for her children and grandchildren? Would you do it? How about preventive removal of your testicles? I think I would take my chances.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 May 2013 07:16 #2 by deltamrey
Massive publicity hound.....shamless.....

14 May 2013 08:43 #3 by homeagain

deltamrey wrote: Massive publicity hound.....shamless.....

So-o-o, I'm guessing your post was to INCITE....... :pop

14 May 2013 09:22 #4 by archer
She had an 87% chance of getting breast cancer, while a difficult decision to make, many women in the same position have made that decision to have all breast tissue removed then have their breasts reconstructed. Kudos to her for her courage and for sharing her story.

14 May 2013 09:24 #5 by FredHayek
While odds wise, it was the right thing to do, I just think I would be more hopeful and believe I am in the 13%.

14 May 2013 09:36 #6 by chickaree
Easy to say if it's not your life on the line. I would likely make the same choice as she.

14 May 2013 09:43 #7 by Mtn Gramma

14 May 2013 09:53 #8 by ComputerBreath
The boobs do not make the woman...and in this case could have killed the woman. I'd do the same thing.

At least she had the funds and knowledge to get checked then the money to have all the procedures required for removal and reconstruction.

14 May 2013 09:57 #9 by FredHayek
Maybe I just want to preserve the body's integrity, even if it is trying to kill me. My grandmother lost her breasts, a lung, and finally a leg to cancer, she didn't live much longer after that, and losing her mobility put her into a deep depression.

But I hope it all works out well with Ms. Jolie.

14 May 2013 10:46 #10 by chickaree
I had a dear friend who faced the same dilemma. She lost her mother, an aunt and two cousins to breast cancer. When her sister was diagnosed she went and got tested. Sure enough, she had the gene. She told me that she felt she had a ticking time bomb in her body. After much prayer and reflection, she had the procedure done.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds