10 Great Science Fiction Books for Girls/Greatest Female Sci-Fi Writers

10 Sep 2014 21:28 #1 by ScienceChic
@JCPL tweeted this 1st link the other day, and I want to save it for when my girl gets a little older. I was bummed that they didn't list any Anne McCaffrey books, but there are ones here I've never heard of (and I'm puzzled by some others...Stranger in a Strange Land???) so it'll be a fun adventure to have with her later!

10 Great Science Fiction Books for Girls
By Emily Temple on Feb 3, 2012

A Wrinkle in Time, Madeleine L’Engle
The Left Hand of Darkness, Ursula K. LeGuin
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Hayao Miyazaki
The Windup Girl, Paolo Bacigalupi
Ender’s Game, Orson Scott Card
The Female Man, Joanna Russ
Stranger in a Strange Land, Robert A. Heinlein
Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
Dune, Frank Herbert
The Handmaid’s Tale, Margaret Atwood

The Greatest Female Sci-Fi/Fantasy Authors of All Time
By Emily Temple on Jun 22, 2012

Ursula K. LeGuin
Octavia Butler
Madeleine L’Engle
Angela Carter
Kelly Link
Anne Rice
Connie Willis
Susanna Clarke
Doris Lessing
Marion Zimmer Bradley

The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction: McCaffrey, Anne
June 24, 2014

(1926-2011) US-born professional horsebreeder and author, in Ireland from the 1970s; mother of Todd McCaffrey. Most of her output was sf, though tinged with the tone and instruments of Fantasy: much of her main work, the enormous Pern sequence of Planetary Romance adventures (see below) is normally experienced as fantasy. She began publishing work of genre interest with "Freedom of the Race" for Hugo Gernsback's Science-Fiction Plus in 1953, becoming well-known a decade or so later with her first novel, Restoree (1967), which rather conventionally, though with tongue in cheek, tells the story of a young woman who, after being flayed alive by Alien flesh-eaters, is saved and with her skin restored has adventures in another world's high society. Soon McCaffrey began publishing the linked novels and stories that have made her reputation as a writer of romantic, heightened tales of adventure designed to appeal – and to make good sense to – readers who start young and who, over the years, grow into her world

. - See more at: www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/mccaffrey_...sthash.ORxnQHXJ.dpuf

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Sep 2014 12:00 #2 by FredHayek
The Left Hand of Darkness is very good and I have to re-read it from time to time. I would also recommend LeGuin's "Lathe Of Heaven".

For younger girls? The Wizard of Earthsea trilogy.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

11 Sep 2014 14:13 #3 by Blazer Bob
Who is JCPL? If you recall in SIASL Juble(?) has 3 strong women on his staff who played important supporting roles to the man from mares. So did the nurse.

I would wonder more about Enders Game although his sister was a genius.

11 Sep 2014 17:21 #4 by ConiferCajun
Lois McMaster Bujold (4 time Hugo Winner)and her Miles Vorkosigan series do not get enough credit.

The Honor Harrington Series by David Weber - Portrays a no nonsense, strong female protagonist that is still feminine.

Patricia Briggs - Moon Called Series

Spider Robinson's _ Callahans Series

Tanya Huff

11 Sep 2014 17:45 #5 by ScienceChic
Thanks for the recommendations ConiferCajun and welcome to the site!

BlazerBob - @JCPL is the Jefferson County Public Library on Twitter. Sorry, I should've spelled that out. :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

11 Sep 2014 17:58 - 11 Sep 2014 18:00 #6 by Blazer Bob

ConiferCajun wrote: Lois McMaster Bujold (4 time Hugo Winner)and her Miles Vorkosigan series do not get enough credit.

The Honor Harrington Series by David Weber - Portrays a no nonsense, strong female protagonist that is still feminine.

Patricia Briggs - Moon Called Series

Spider Robinson's _ Callahans Series

Tanya Huff

Thanks CC. Never heard of Lois but there are entire decades when I was OTL. Just put her in my kindle and she has a lot of titles. Just downloaded "
The spacetime Pool" since it is only 3.99 just to get a taste.

Wasn't the Callahan series the bar stories?

14 Sep 2014 09:41 - 14 Sep 2014 09:42 #7 by FredHayek
Honor Harringtan is a strong female hero.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

22 Jun 2015 18:25 - 22 Jun 2015 18:26 #8 by ScienceChic
Want to save this for reference, link shared via Jeffco Public Library:

2015 Non-Fiction Picture Books for Kids: Sports, Science, Bios, History and More!

Science, sports, and history are all important subject areas, but it sure is nice to be able to get kids interested in non-fiction a fun way, which these books provide. If you share these with your kids, I promise they'll never know they learned anything ... they'll be too busy having a great time!

21 Nov 2021 18:53 #9 by ScienceChic
Today marks the 10th anniversary of the passing of one of my favorite sci-fi writers, Anne McCaffrey. Thought I'd share this article that includes a couple of my favorite quotes of hers. I am so thankful for the rich worlds she created that I've continued to enjoy since my childhood.

“Who wills, Can.
Who tries, Does.
Who Loves, Lives."

~ Dragonflight

“Make no judgments where you have no compassion.” –Dragonquest

14 Favorite Lines from Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonriders of Pern
Kristen McQuinn Nov 21, 2016

November 21 marks the fifth anniversary of Anne McCaffrey’s death. I grew up reading her books, particularly her Dragonriders of Pern series. She was the first novelist whose death made me cry. She was the first one whose work I connected with at a really emotional level. It was from her works that I first began to understand that science-fiction and fantasy could, and did, discuss important social issues. Really, sci-fi/fantasy provide an ideal medium to do so because they allow those topics to be discussed at a comfortable distance if needed.

28 Nov 2022 04:53 #10 by jessicawilliams
These all are great I read them all I also Have one suggestion which is not included in your list I want that you all must read his book it's also very incredible. Ted Buckett Author also wrote great books.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds