Captain America Officially Titled ‘Civil War’; RDJ Confirmed!

16 Feb 2016 10:54 #11 by RJ
To date, there are only two movies that have made me tear up (that I can recall). I Am Sam and Marley And Me. Lol. But Marley and Me wasn't even fair. That movie was designed to make people cry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Feb 2016 10:57 #12 by FredHayek
Tearing up? I was doing that during the Star Wars commercials. But I am more emotional than I used to be. :monalisa:

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 Feb 2016 11:15 #13 by ScienceChic
I refuse to see anything that is designed to make me bawl, I'm too much of a softie and can't afford to lose that much liquid. LOL! Bicentennial Man was the hardest on me - I wasn't expecting it at all.

FH, they got me with those commercials too. So I cheated and read all the spoilers so I knew what to expect going in and how many boxes of Kleenex I'd need. ;)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

22 Feb 2016 23:27 #14 by ScienceChic
Oops. :captamerica :whistle:

DEADPOOL Causes CIVIL WAR to Start a Few Months Early
Posted by Donnie Lederer on February 21, 2016

Since its release last weekend, fans and critics alike have been singing the praises of the Merc with a Mouth, Deadpool. The film even gained the praises of the most straight-laced hero in the entire Marvel Universe, Captain America. Well, at least from Chris Evans, the actor that plays him.

After seeing this compliment, Ryan Reynolds was quick to respond with who his allegiance will be this spring during Captain America: Civil War.

That was pretty awesome, seeing the two stars of the two biggest Marvel movies in 2016 forming a strong bond. However, there was one person who didn’t take kindly to this camaraderie: Robert Downey, Jr.

Click the link to see screen grabs of the Tweets, it's pretty funny. :P

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

11 Mar 2016 08:15 #15 by ScienceChic
I am so going to hate and love this movie. :spidey: :captamerica

11 Mar 2016 08:28 #16 by FredHayek
Team Cap.
Just watched Captain America for the first time last week because we have been watching the Agent Carter series and wanted to see her origin. Liked the WWII part of the movie and would like to see more period superhero movies.

11 Mar 2016 08:50 #17 by ScienceChic
Does the Gods of Egypt qualify as a "period" superhero piece? ;)

11 Mar 2016 09:05 #18 by FredHayek
I was excited to see Gods of Egypt but after the reviews, I just said no. :bong:

08 May 2016 23:53 - 08 May 2016 23:54 #19 by ScienceChic
Okay. HELLZ. To. The. YEAH! I loved this movie and despite it moving slow in some spots (some might consider it merely setting up for Avengers: Infinity Wars I & II, but it was so much more), it was fantastic!
Spoiler alert:
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
so no hating necessary! :)

I was TeamCap going into this, and leaving it even moreso. While Stark's scientific genius and innovative brain will always impress me, as stated in the reviews, he's a hot mess and it's his PTSD, guilt, and narcissism that bring about this series of events and destroy this team. Steve Rogers, however: "Me, I've always believed in people. And for the most part, they haven't let me down. So I won't let them down."

I purposely didn't read any reviews before I went to see this. I'm glad I didn't, though these don't have any real spoilers that would've tipped me off to the parts I loved most about this movie. Favorite scenes:
  • Barton coming for the Scarlet Witch.
  • AntMan in every scene - holy hell, give that man another movie!
  • The airport fight between the superheroes.
  • The Black Panther. The character, the acting, the plot line - he fits in immediately and it's awesome
  • The big reveal at the end that pushes Stark over the edge.
  • Spidey being so dorky, so smart, so full of hero worship.
Harry says, "Captain America: CIVIL WAR is great just like the 1996 Chicago Bulls!"
Published at: May 4, 2016, 6:22 a.m. CST by headgeek

The Russo Brothers. Disney should sign them to lifetime contracts. This was next level Superhero stuff. Just watch how the camera follows Black Widow in that Nigerian Marketplace… hell, the whole movie. I can not praise Trent Opaloch high enough. And the idea of him and the Russo’s shooting AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR Part I & II… THE AIRPORT SCENE is just a level of perfection of understanding the comic medium and the film medium at a level that is truly awe-inspiringly great. There’s an exchange in the Avengers mansion with Hawkeye that is unlike anything you’ve ever seen executed on film before. It’s a Superhero dance that’s just magic to watch.

You know how much you loved DEADPOOL? You’ll love Spidey like that.

Ok, I haven’t really lost my sh*t over Black Panther yet – and that’s cuz… MY GOD! T’Challa… Just typing that name and thinking about Chadwick Boseman’s just as perfect as perfect gets performance. There’s a moment in the film where I felt confident he could lift Mjölnir cuz he was so damn worthy it wasn’t funny.

Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely really understand the essentials of these characters. The dialogue is the snappiest yet. Haiku when it needs to and smart enough to quote some great comic dialogue in beautifully new ways. Masterful really. They expertly juggle Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow, Bucky Barnes, Falcon, War Machine, Hawkeye, Black Panther, Vision, Scarlet Witch Ant-Man, Sharon Carter, Spider-man, Baron Zemo, Crossbones, Aunt May and even Ol promoted Thunderbolt Ross. It’s amazing. Every character… Great. Just great. So amazing.

After the film it made me think of the 1996 Chicago Bulls. And I remember sportscasters just waxing poetically about how we may never see the game played this great again. Watching them play was a privilege on TV. The only difference is…

I’m absolutely convinced, we haven’t seen anything yet. Just wait.

Quint reviews CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR!
Published at: May 6, 2016, 4:28 p.m. CST by quint

I loved Captain America: Civil War. I was entertained by it (the big fight at the Berlin Airport is perhaps the best superhero action ever arranged), but more importantly I was emotionally engaged with the battle. Since the Russos don't pick a side neither do you.

When I reviewed The Avengers I said that Marvel had to be careful because they've gone huge and gathered together a team so powerful that it could make for some boring movies. The secret to undoing that is to fracture that team and that's exactly what Marvel's been doing. They stripped away SHIELD, declawed Nick Fury and have been sowing the seeds that are ready for harvest by the time Civil War comes along.

There's real pain and rage here and the MCU crew very smartly doesn't wipe it all away at the end.

In short, Civil War did what Batman V Superman and even Age of Ultron failed at. It has me hotly anticipating the next steps without making me feel like I just spent 2 and a half hours watching set up.

Edit to add: do yourself a favor and go see this on the big screen. If only for the fight between the Avengers. Trust me. :coolwink:

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds