The Avengers: Endgame

22 Apr 2019 11:48 #11 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic The Avengers: Endgame
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Apr 2019 17:31 #12 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic The Avengers: Endgame
Brilliant!
Emma Peel saves the world. Wraps Thanos around her little finger and steals all the stones!

Tickets bought for a Sunday showing. First showing is 7:30AM!

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

23 Apr 2019 10:22 #13 by FredHayek
Most likely the last cameo for Stan Lee.

23 Apr 2019 22:24 #14 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic The Avengers: Endgame
Got our tickets for Friday night! My son is killing me - he made me swore not to read any spoilers before we go see it. I'm like, "Dude, you know I spend all day on the internet for work, right?" :huh:

This is my all-time favorite trailer now. Showcasing almost all of the characters, how the major ones started, emphasizing their journey, and reminding us that life is precious because it is finite has me in tears every time I watch it.

"A thing isn't beautiful because it lasts."
No, it's beautiful because you love it. Love it for the bonds it builds with friends, the hope in mankind it exalts, the joy it creates in you, and the promise of a better future we have every potential to build for ourselves should we find the courage to do so.

Rocket - always good for a chuckle. :biggrin:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

28 Apr 2019 19:02 #15 by FredHayek
Very well done film, they are going to have a hard time topping this one. I did need tissues, not only at the end, but also the beginning! Good humor too. Loved the cameo from Jeff Lebowski.

28 Apr 2019 19:03 #16 by FredHayek
Loved the Captain America storyline, especially the end.

29 Apr 2019 09:25 #17 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic The Avengers: Endgame
I agree, I don't think this one will be topped for quite some time (and that's keeping in mind that the end of the Star Wars saga is happening this year too).

All I can say is "Get thee to the theatre stat and see this with a fresh audience!" It's been a long time since I got to enjoy a movie during which the audience enthusiastically cheered, gasped, cried, laughed, and clapped multiple times throughout the show. What an epic journey!

I believe this has become my new favorite movie of all time (I'll know for sure once I watch it a few more times), and I don't say that lightly as my all-time favorite up til now has been The Princess Bride - I don't change my mind on things like this easily; it has to be something I enjoy watching dozens of times over. What Kevin Feige, the Russo brothers, Joss Whedon, Ryan Coogler, Jon Favreau, Taika Waititi, James Gunn, Peyton Reed, and Scott Derrickson have done in weaving an incredible tapestry of characters, visuals, and storylines over 11 years is nothing short of astounding and it all culminates in Endgame. When I think of historical movies with lots of big names cast, I remember awkwardness, stilted lines, crappy plots, and forced camaraderie as it appeared that actors vied for the most attention rather than telling the story. Here, in Endgame, there was none of that. It started a little slow, but once it took off, you didn't notice the time passing during the emotional roller coaster they took us on.

The humor was perfectly balanced (unlike in Ragnarok) for such a traumatic experience it portrays, the acting superb, and how each of the characters coped with the aftermath of losing to Thanos perfectly in line with who they were. That the story surprised the audience multiple times, mostly in happy ways, was heartwarming. Even though I anticipated the ending correctly, it still made my breath stop.

I have three very, very small pet peeves, but I will save them for a little while later when I write up a more detailed review so as to not spoil the movie for those who haven't yet seen it. Now get your @ss to the theatre and see it on the big screen already so we can talk about it! :biggrin:

‘Avengers: Endgame’ Has Broken 144 Box Office Records… and Counting
The film industry has never seen anything like this
Jeremy Fuster | April 28, 2019

The numbers are still coming in for “Avengers: Endgame,” as its unprecedented box office success topples records left and right.

Since the Marvel Studios film first began rolling out in theaters on Wednesday, its global box office total has exploded to a mind-boggling estimate of $1.2 billion, a figure that could very well increase after Sunday’s official numbers come in. That includes a $350 million opening weekend in North America — nearly $100 million higher than the previous record set by “Avengers: Infinity War” — and a $330 million five-day opening in China.

And that’s just the biggest of the records.

Avengers: Endgame breaks global box-office record in opening weekend
Disney’s film is on track to overtake Avatar as the highest-grossing film of all time
Mark Sweney @marksweney | Sun 28 Apr 2019

The star-studded film is the first to take more than $1bn on its debut. Avatar, released in 2009, currently holds the record for highest-grossing film with $2.79bn worldwide. At the very least, Avengers: Endgame will almost certainly surpass Titanic, the 1997 blockbuster starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, which ranks as the second biggest film of all time, taking $2.19bn globally.

The Record-Breaking Box Office Of 'Avengers: Endgame,' By The (Huge) Numbers
Linda Holmes | April 28, 2019

Just how big was opening weekend, domestically? Well, Thursday night previews earned $60 million, which is more money than all but 11 2019 films have made in their entire runs. The weekend as a whole is estimated at $350 million, which makes it — per Disney's eager press release breaking down everything but the inevitable popcorn shortage — the first film to ever make $300 million on opening weekend. Friday, it had the biggest single day for any film ever, making $156.7 million in one day. It also had the biggest Saturday ever and the biggest Sunday ever. This is all in spite of the disadvantage of being three hours long, which might limit the number of showings — except that it's being shown at a record-breaking 4,662 theaters.

(One funny grace note to all this is that in second place in U.S. box office this weekend was the MCU's Captain Marvel with an estimated $8.05 million, meaning that the same character appears in the two top films, even if the one in first place made more than 40 times as much this weekend as the one in second place.)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

29 Apr 2019 14:20 #18 by FredHayek
Two other comments. I liked that they did have a good amount of downtime instead of battle after battle. And check out Chris Pratt's Instagram. He smuggled out some film footage of the actors on set out of costume. It was cool seeing them acting as normal humans instead of actors in character or selling a movie on a talkshow.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds