LGBTQ community, allies press for better protections

14 Jun 2019 18:30 #1 by CanyonCourier
As an educator in Jefferson County and a transgender person, Joel Zigman understands that a proactive approach is often best when it comes to sharing matters of gender identity with students.

But in his two years as a music teacher in Jeffco — first at Swanson Elementary School and now at Leawood and Dutch Creek elementary schools — Zigman has been consistently disappointed in the lack of support and protection available. In one instance, Zigman recalled last week during his speech to the Jeffco school board, the district told him he could answer questions regarding his gender identity but couldn’t proactively speak with students about it.

“ … The consequence of this is that I come into school every day fearful of whether or not this is the day that I will come out, and then I constantly second guess and intentionally hide many answers I might give in conversations,” Zigman said.

During the school board’s June 6 meeting, held in the month meant to celebrate the LGBTQ-plus community, teachers, students and community members urged the Jeffco Board of Education for better protections. Those who spoke waited about six hours to do so.

Read more here: www.canyoncourier.com/content/lgbtq-comm...s-better-protections
By Deborah Swearingen
Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Canyon Courier is your source for local news, sports, events, and information in Evergreen, CO, and the surrounding area.
www.canyoncourier.com
Subscribe to help support your local news!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds