Major Closure of I-70 at Georgetown--Update 4/5/2011

05 Apr 2011 16:06 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Major Closure of I-70 at Georgetown

CDOT crews continue to work at removing the remaining large boulders on the slope of Georgetown Hill. Drilling operations are breaking the larger boulders into smaller pieces. However, it remains a slow and tedious process.
Work remains on schedule to reopen Interstate 70 to through traffic between Empire and Silverthorne at 5 p.m. today. However, as each rock layer is removed, evaluations are taking place. Since these boulders fit together similar to a puzzle, crews must continue to remain very cautious as these removal operations proceed.
Traffic remains light on I-70 between Denver and Empire Junction and on eastbound I-70 to Silverthorne. The detour route via Berthoud Pass (U.S. 40 and State Highway 9) is reportedly moving well. The southern detour route via U.S. 285 and State Highway 9 is currently blocked by two semi-trucks on the north side of Hoosier Pass. CDOT has dispatched Heavy Tow vehicles to remove these semis and reopen SH 9 as soon as possible. Otherwise, traffic had been moving well on this route prior to Hoosier Pass accident.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Apr 2011 17:12 #2 by pacamom
Traffic moving well on 285 at 4pm. Except if you are trying to pull out onto the highway. They must have retimed the lights in PJ.

05 Apr 2011 18:05 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Major Closure of I-70 at Georgetown--Update 4/5/2011
CDOT has completed today’s mitigation work and has reopened I-70 at Georgetown Hill, allowing through traffic to travel I-70 between Empire Junction (U.S. 40) and Silverthorne.
The good news is that today, CDOT was able to remove all of the rocks and boulders that were considered an immediate threat to come loose and downslope to Interstate 70. However, a number of large boulders remain on the slope and warrant further examination in the future. Engineers will be exploring an anchor system to further stabilize these remaining boulders if a solid anchoring area is available. CDOT then will design this anchor system in the next couple of weeks. If, however, a solid section of slope is NOT available at this site for anchoring, another lengthy closure of I-70 may be necessary in the near future to bring down these remaining boulders.
In addition, a lower rockfall net needs to be installed as a rock damaged the existing one. That work will take place over the next couple of weeks, requiring additional lane closure and traffic stops.
Tomorrow, Wednesday, April 6, the highway will REMAIN OPEN. However, traffic stops up to 20 minutes, from 10:30 a.m. until dark, can be expected as remaining clean-up work takes place.
Today, traffic has remained light on I-70 between Denver and Empire Junction and on eastbound I-70 to Silverthorne. The detour route via Berthoud Pass (U.S. 40 and State Highway 9) has moved well. Traffic also moved smoothly today on the southern detour route via U.S. 285 and State Highway 9. Hoosier Pass was blocked earlier by a semi accident but it has been cleared and Highway 9 is open to traffic.

TY pacamom for the update.

05 Apr 2011 20:32 #4 by MyMountainTown
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/traffic ... etail.html

I-70 Open After Day-Long Rock Mitigation Work

Some Homes Evacuated As Precaution As CDOT Works On Mitigating Rockslides

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds