Remember when?

11 Jun 2010 19:13 #1 by Wayne Harrison
A lot of you young whippersnappers and newer 285 residents don't know what it was like back in the day.. so here's a place for us old fogies to post "remember when" things... along with a short explanation. I'll start:

Remember when it was long distance to call Denver from the 838 exchange?

When we first moved up here we used a "switching service" that was in western Lakewood and could call either Denver or up here and it wasn't long distance for them. For a flat monthly fee, they gave you a pin number and you called their number, punched in the pin and got a Denver dial tone. You could then dial the Denver number and not get billed by US West (pre Qwest).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jun 2010 19:21 #2 by The Viking
Replied by The Viking on topic Remember when?
Remember when you picked up the phone to make a call and your neighbors were on it. It was a party line and you had to wait until they were finished to make a call. But anyone could listen in on your call. And it was a different coded ring if it was for you. Like 2 short rings and a long.

I know I am not that old but where I lived technology didn't hit our area very quickly.

11 Jun 2010 19:26 - 11 Jun 2010 19:28 #3 by pchistory
Replied by pchistory on topic Remember when?
Remember when 285 was two lanes through Turkey Creek Canyon, and you went from the mouth of the canyon over to Morrison and then down Morrison Road? Hampden wasn't punched through the hogback until the late sixties.

11 Jun 2010 19:27 #4 by The Viking
Remember when you only had 3 TV channels, no remote and you couldn't wait for the Wonderful World of Disney to come on Saturday nights each week.

11 Jun 2010 19:28 #5 by The Viking
So did you want this thread to be only about the 285 corridor?

11 Jun 2010 19:36 #6 by FoothillsRealtor
Replied by FoothillsRealtor on topic Remember when?
my "remember when" goes only back for 15 years - but I remember when Safeway was still on the other side of the hwy and "basil" was so foreign that they had to have the manager come out to answer what it is and if they could order it; when the only beer there was was bud light, miller something.... (not the type of beer that I was used to from Germany, Italy and England, nice ambers, pale ales etc), ciabatta/baguette (oh boy another strange thing) never heard of... but it also was less crowded and since I didn't work back then had the trails to myself during the week. I still love here though, compared to Europe and other places I've lived this is still paradise :sunshine: :) .

Sophia S Paul, Broker Associate
Home Real Estate
Bailey, CO
303-838-3322           

11 Jun 2010 19:58 #7 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic Remember when?

The Viking wrote: So did you want this thread to be only about the 285 corridor?

Yeah. It's a way for newer residents to learn about 285 corridor history..

11 Jun 2010 20:09 #8 by pchistory
Replied by pchistory on topic Remember when?
Remember when you didn't go through Crow Hill (as you do today), but wound down and around Crow Valley on the old two lane road before eventually emerging into Bailey? That part of the drive was very scenic but always made me carsick. 285 was blasted through the hill and widened to its current configuration in about 1965.

11 Jun 2010 20:10 #9 by AspenValley
Replied by AspenValley on topic Remember when?

pchistory wrote: Remember when 285 was two lanes through Turkey Creek Canyon, and you went from the mouth of the canyon over to Morrison and then down Morrison Road? Hampden wasn't punched through the hogback until the late sixties.

I'm not quite old enough to remember before it went through the hogback, but I remember as a kid my dad driving us up through the newly made road through the hogback as though it were the enginerring marvel of the century. (Kids were a lot more easily impressed in those days, I'm thinking!)

11 Jun 2010 20:13 #10 by AspenValley
Replied by AspenValley on topic Remember when?
When the two grocery store choices were the "Old Safeway" and City Mart?

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds