Survey of Jeffco County Workers Finds...

14 Apr 2011 12:08 #1 by ScienceChic
http://denver.yourhub.com/Conifer/Stori ... 70549.aspx
Survey shows county workers like flexibility
by: Karen Groves, YourHub.com
Article Contributed on: 4/13/2011 12:07:41 PM

Maintaining a flexible balance between work and home life is a major selling point to employees of Jefferson County, according to a new survey.

Most employees appear to like working for the county, but they want to lower employee contributions to retirement plans from 5 percent to 3 percent. At least 73 percent of employees agreed they would be willing to participate in wellness programs to improve their health and contain insurance costs.

The top three workplace factors were pay and benefits, flexibility to balance work and home life and the ability to have input into how a job is done.

It would be interesting to see how many of those 73% who said they'd participate in a wellness program to improve their health and insurance costs actually would participate - it's a great way to incentivize a healthy lifestyle!

The benefits of flexible work schedules has always been a huge deal to me too. Life in the lab lent itself well to that (although not so much to limiting the hours - there's always so much to do that it's easy to put in 80 hours/week!). But I appreciated that if the weather was getting bad I could leave early and make up the time another day. I think the key is that when your boss trusts you to get the work done, no matter how little or how long it takes you, it's a huge weight lifted - you are trusted and appreciated, and not feeling that way is the biggest reason for people leaving their jobs - my hubby (who is charge of HR at his company) likes to say that people don't leave jobs/companies, they leave managers/bosses.

What do y'all think?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Apr 2011 12:12 - 14 Apr 2011 12:53 #2 by Martin Ent Inc
Don't live in Jeffco, but the few workers I have seen/dealt with must have NEVER heard of the health participation thing. Looked as if walking was a major challenge.
They need to sign up.

14 Apr 2011 12:24 #3 by Southpark
Wow. Was that really necessary?

14 Apr 2011 15:50 #4 by 2wlady
Interesting, isn't it? I went to a military site with a large number of civilian gov. workers and I had never seen so many morbidly obese people in one building in my life. It was sad.

BTW, our company insurance is in the midst of a Get Active program with Aetna. It's good fun and the competition is great.

14 Apr 2011 16:01 #5 by Martin Ent Inc
People should lose weight, get in better shape. It effects all aspects of your body and pain. Less chances of other health related problems. If you are FAT you know it.
When I see a police officer that is obese it makes me think "we had to hire the fat dude for fear of lawsuit".

PS I have to work out to keep my self in check, it is fun when you make it fun.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds